Cory barbels

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Have a question for all you Cory experts. I miss not having Cories in my tank and want to change my substrate in order to make the best environment for them.

Started my tank over a year ago with fairly large stoned substrate and switched to a finer stone gravel when I changed to all live plants. Unfortunately the barbels of my Cories didn't survive this change. I didn't know at the time that this would be an issue.

So now I'm considering changing my substrate to sand. Onyx sand is supposed to be good with plants, but may not be so good for Cories.

Does anyone have any experience with a substrate that works well for live plants AND Cories??? Would appreciate any help with this.

I personally used to have play sand with a layer of Flourite Plant Substrate underneath, and it worked fine with my Cories.

As for Onyx Sand, it does have a slight buffering affect, so it will raise your pH. Cories do best in soft, acidic waters, so you'd want to watch your pH if you do use it.

The barbels of Cories can become infected if there is a high amount of nitrate in the tank. Do you think it could possibly be that? It isn't always the gravel, because I had my Cories in a tank with medium-large stone gravel and they didn't have a problem. But was your gravel shard edged at all? Because that could also be whats happening, since they are bottomfeeders, and being in contact with sharp substrate shorten the barbels.

Overall, I find that my Cories have done better with my play sand in the tank.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Based on what you said, I'm now wondering if my cory issues may have more to do with the pH and hardness of my water, rather than the substate.

It's definitely not nitrates, and I wouldn't say that any substate I've had has sharp edges, but according to the boro office of my town, the KH is 10-12 (although I have my doubts that this is accurate) and my pH tends to be around 7.5.

You say cories do better is soft and acidic water. Do you know how soft and how acidic?

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I haven't been on this site much lately and didn't realize the fish profile area was upgraded.....very nice. Anyway, according to that, my pH should be max 7.0 for the best cory environment. Doesn't seem the hardness is much of an issue.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
I'm happy I ran across this. You know, I thought I did ample research on Corys, but after this post, my substrate wont be right for the little guys (I wanted to do a school in my 55g). I have pea gravel in my tank and it is rather abrasive. Are there any other bottom dwellers out there that might fair well with my tank conditions? My pH stays around 6.8 and the temp is usually 78.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i use a sicilia sand called handy sand from Menards. it doesn't seem to compact so they can sift through it really easy. in fact i was watching my cories tonight sift through it as deep as it wanted to go looking for food. My ph is around 8.0+ and temp at 78F and they seem to be really active and healthy.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Whiskers, what kind of cories do you have? According to many cory sites I've read from the last few days, some cories seem to be more sensitive to higher pH's than others. So with a pH of 8.0, was wondering the type of cory you have.....oh and how long you've had them.

I ask this because when I have had cories before, they actually lived for many months before the barbels appeared to be wearing down.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Corys can tolerate a ph from 6-8. I have read several sites that recommend a ph of 7, but the main factor is consistency. Most fish can tolerate this range of ph as long as it is not moving up and down. If it stays consistent, (which it should if you are not putting additives in the water) then they will adapt and be fine.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Well, if that's the case, then I'm back to thinking it's the gravel that wore down the barbels.

Although my pH is on the high side, it definitely has been consistent.