convicts and firemouths

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Has anyone out there ever kept or had any firemouth or convict cichlids. If so tell me about them, size, temperment, breeding habits, anything you can think of because I really want some. Thanks.

8)Ryanp13;D

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
well, ill start out by telling you this, convict cichlids do not get their name just from the stiped pattern...they are truly nasty fish and dont really like anything...if you are going to keep them, they would probably do best in a species tank, so that they dont kill oter fish...other than that, they are extre,ely easy to keep and breed, if your interested in that sort of stuff...they do not get big, maybe four nches, but are extreemely aggressive and territorial...firemouths, on the otherhand, are genreally more peaceful and can be mixed with a larger amount of fish...they also look nicer than convicts...firemouths get to about five inches and can be territorial, but not too aggressive...also easy to breed, just put a male with a female, they should spawn in no time

Dangerous

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
You can could keep a,blood parrort,convict,and firemouth together ive always had convicts and firemouths together they get along fine actually my firemouth pushed around my convict and they were both the same size

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
My MIL keeps convicts, a group in a 30 gallon (That is what got me started on this fish keeping journey, LOL) As a species tank, they get along fine.  They do produce quite a few fry though.  MIL has stocked two other 30 gallons, one for her daughter, one for a neighbor, all with fry from her tank.  So you need to figure out what you are going to do with all the babies.  

They are fascinating to watch though.  The first time I saw her tank, (They live about 600 miles away from us and we were out there for Christmas) I was like, why in the world would she want to keep this huge tank full of these boring black and white striped fish.  So we were sitting on the couch one evening, talking, and I happened to glance at the tank out of the corner of my eye and saw this fish carrying a rock out in its mouth! That was it, I was fascinated.  I came home and started researching aquariums on the net and I have been hooked ever since.  So I have a special place in my heart for the convicts, I just don't want to own any, LOL.

Jan