Converting Incandescent to CFL for Planted Aquarium

HappyFish

Small Fish
May 23, 2011
USA
I'm finally getting my 55 gallon (48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21) setup together. I scored some incandescent hoods on craigalist and want to convert them to CFLs. I have two hoods that have 2 screw in bulbs each for 25 watts each (rated for incandescent) for 4 total bulbs. I want low to medium light plants. I know 6500 k or higher and 2-3 watts per gallon minimum requirments. I believe I can meet this easily with CFLs. What type and brands do you recommend? Anything I'm missing? I have'nt gone to the hardware store yet and believe they will have the best deals there.

Thanks for any helpful advice! Have a great memorial day weekend!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; No particular advice on a brand, but I have done this conversion.

The 6500k (brite white/natural) is what I used and they grow plants nicely and have a good color for the fish.

I used the physically smaller bulbs eventually, 13 watt I think. The larger ones were difficult to screw into the fittings.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; One more thing. I found that the CFL bulbs were more sensitive to moisture. I had to make sure that evaporation, fish splashing and spray from air bubbles could not get on the bulbs. The mousture seemed to shorten their life. I had converted a very old stainless hood without any barrier between the water and the bulbs. I put a pane of glass under the hood and all was fine.

HappyFish

Small Fish
May 23, 2011
USA
Thanks skjl47. I been to home depot and found some goodnday lightbulbs but yet to decide. I have some Sparkasm bulbs left from ikea, so I'm gonna check that place out too. These are desktop bulbs, so they elongated for better light distribution. I dont know the Kelvin rating, so will need to research more.