Convert my molly/swordtail tank to a Brackish tank

the_sixx

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2007
Watertown, NY
Ok so I have a 3 mollies and 2 swordtails in a 10 gallon tank and have been researching them and found they thrive in brackish waters. Should I had the salt to kick up the salinity or is it late since theyve been in 100% FW tank? I know the salts help for certain medical conditions but was just curious.

Brackish water is not necessary in order for mollies or swords to thrive. Hard water is good enough.
Some mollies, such as P. latipinna, naturally occur in brackish and full SW habitats. Even then most hybrid sailfins don't really need salt in their water either, they've long been bred without it.
You might find that black mollies gain some vigor and vitality in hard water/slightly brackish conditions.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Personally, I don't buy into the whole "Aquarium Salt" and it's "medicinal purposes" marketing ploy. But just in case, you know that "Aquarium Salt" is not the same as "Marine Salt", right? The "tonic" qualities of Aquarium Salt isn't the same as brackish water...which is made with Marine Salt.