compatiblity

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
lordroad tried this a while back, but I haven't seen him post on here in a while...might not hurt to try sending him a PM to see how things went in his situation.

If you wanna pull it off, you'll need to make sure that there are lots of suitable hiding spots for the cray. Like Maha and Bungle said, the oscar will try to eat the cray when he gets bigger...especially if the cray is exposed with few hiding spots.

This is a setup I'd be willing to try out though...just as long as you're aware of the risks involved.

My inclination would be to introduce the cray first, and only put the two together when the oscar is still relatively small, if at all possible. He'd view the cray as more of a tankmate this way as opposed to merely food.

I'm going on the assumption here that you've got a decent-sized tank that can accommodate an adult oscar---in which case he should stay out of harm's way...even from a large cray...and even if he (the oscar) is small when you put him in with the cray.

Bottom line is that the cray is the one who you should be more worried about. Just give lots of hiding spots, and it should work out okay. If he gets eaten...well...you knew it would be a risk. :rolleyes:

Big Vine

Nov 17, 2006
Hazleton,Pa
NO NO NO. I orginaly thought the oscare would eat the cray but when i was at the Pet store.There was a small blue cray in an oscar tank.The cray was in the corner under a rock and an oscar swam around the corner and the cray grabed it and killed it.I am not lieing i saw it. I was going to try what you were going to do.DONT DO IT.

Jan 8, 2007
corrupt lfs
Customers come in all the time to purchase crays specifically as feeders for their oscars. I have heard of various larger crays holding their own but when it comes time to molt that may not be the case.