Color variations of discus

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I was at the LFS a little while ago, and I noticed some beautiful deep blue and fame red Discus. Are these natural colors or are they dyed? I have seen dyed fish before and these didn't look dyed but I have never seen discus in these colors anywhere else.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
The colors of discus are AMAZING. There is a very wide range of colors these days. Its most likely their "natural" color. I say natural with quotes because natural would truly only be wild forms, but these colors are natural to the domestic strains.

Here are a couple of mine, natural colors.

They have so many color forms its really hard to show them all. Spots, striations, solid colors, slight differences between many many strains.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Those do sound like "natural" color strains. Discus being the sensitive fish they are do not respond well to being dyed. I've seen it done and the fish are visually of poor stock and don't live very long.

Most commonly the color treatment of discus involves hormones injected and fed. Wile this is a "better" way to enhance the colors of this fish it too leads to stunting and an early death. Hormoned discus are most commonly the cheap Asian imports you can find on-line and in LFS.