COLOR CHANGE???

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My betta, who I've had for almost four months, is in a little 5 gallon by himself... I noticed today that his head is noticably lighter than it was yesterday... he didn't seem as happy either... he has a bubble nest, but he didn't greet me this morning and he followed my finger reluctantly and hesitated before eating his food. Is something wrong?

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
AGH! now there's some long clearish stringy thing coming off part of his tail! He doesn't seem to be enjoying it very much... it isn't actually his fin, but it's attached to it!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
DO NOT PUT A TANK MATE IN WITH HIM!!!! He might have a parasite! Treat him with 5 drops (1drop/1gallon) of aquari-sol it is a preventative. Only do it once a week, unless you have diagnosed him for sure. Then switch to daily. Aquari-sol is only a couple bucks at most pet supplies stores.

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
hmmm... i dunno... Well it turned out the little guy had fungus. He got it twice. I think he finally kicked it. Now he's has a veeery mild case of hexamita and is healing well. Yup, I had my betta with a platy in a 5 gallon for two months. They were fine for a while, but the betta randomly started chasing the platy and nipped it a bit. After one nip, I treated the tank with Melafix, and had to take out the filter cartridge. That caused bad water quality and the platy got dropsy and died. I haven't tried another tank mate since. I was thinking about an otto until I had to clean the tank out and boil all the rocks and stuff... all the algae went away. I was thinking about some tetras maybe, but I will wait a looooong time to be sure my betta is well.

Oct 22, 2002
If you want tank mates, why don't you guys stick a betta in a 29-gal like a regular community fish. Then you can put in anything else you want too. Unless it can eat the betta

Dec 29, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
you would also need to make fairly certain the betta wouldn't harm the other fish. My blue gourami and male betta didn't like each other :) and in my wife's tank, at first anyhow, her poor betta was being picked on by the cherry barbs....but that at least ended and all is going well. The blue gourami in her tank has decided its "his" tank and makes sure everyone knows it...but it at least doesn't harm the others....just something to consider :p

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
AGH! He has fungus AGAIN! I boiled everything in the tank except for the filter and heater, which I can't cuz they're plastic and glass. The hexamita is almost gone, so should I treat the hole first, or the fungus??? HELP!