Co2 DIY

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
How big are your bubbles that you count?

I dont use an airstone. Mine comes right out of the tube, and it is a big bubble. Then it is sucked up the intake. Sometimes there are so many bubbles comming out of my fiter, it looks like a powerhead hooked up with an airtube. lots and lots.

how many little bubbles come out of the airstone for you??

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
Nononononono. I don't count the bubbles coming out of the airstone.  Thats a quick route to an I-love-me leisure suit in a well padded room.  WAY to quick.  ;D
I just count the bubbles in the bubble counter once I've noticed that I'm getting some action on the airstone.  That way I know it's reach equilibrium pressure. Those are big bubbles, too.

Oct 22, 2002
Hi, i didn't measure well my CO2 inyector, it started to make bubbles, and by a week it stops, how should i know when to replace it, or when to add something to keep it working?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I dont understand you..sorry.

You didn't measure?

What recipe did you use?

Make sure your Yeast is active.

If you use too much yeast..or too less sugar...the yeast will use its food supply up too quickly.

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
well going back to the output of the DIY yeast CO2..

the amount of CO2 expelled from the mixture will vary.. but it produces the most CO2 in the beginning, and then slowly tapering off.  if you want to maintain optimal output of your yeast mixture, then changing the mix every 2 or so weeks would be best.

And for Hmgonzalez.. If your mix dies within a week, then my guess is that you're either using too much yeast, too less sugar, or not adding (or not enough) baking soda... The baking soda will keep the pH value of the mix at an acceptable level for the yeast to still live..

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I dont disagree with Sega, This is only my second round with the Co2. It may also be the yeast brand. I am sure some don't work as well as others.

I wonder if me not having to add the baking soda and not having any bad results is due to my hard water? I didn't get a slow down until about a month either. Lucky?

We will see this time.

brad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i have a question. Is  it ok to run the outlet of my diy co2 into the intake of my whisper 30-60 3 stage advanced power filter??It contains 1 stage for debris and fish waste(floss)..next stage is ultra activated carbon.and the final stage is bio-foam for aerobic bacteria..is it ok to let the co2 go through this or is it a bad thing?Also i run air stones for areation in my tank ..Should i turn them off durin g the day and on at night or just on all the time or off all the time??

R

ronrca

I also have my CO2 going into the intake of my canister filter. It supposedly is the best way to dissipate the CO2 and no, it should harm anything. My CO2 is on 24 hours a day. I also have no surface movement except a little from my bio-wheel which I try to keep to a minimial. I dont have any air stones either because of the extra surface movement it causes. Unless you are fully stock or even over stocked on fish, oxgyen should not be a problem. Actually, none of my tanks have airstones. At first when I unplugged my air pump, I was very concerned about oxgyen in the tank but now I have had no stones for about 9 months. No problems at all.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i have mine going thro a diffuser..but it does create alot of lil' bubbles that go around the tank. so if u put it beneath the intake for the filter it should get rid of it.

surface agitation waste ALOT of c02. i had an aquaclear running along with cannister for awhile and i just recently removed the aquaclear...and man..does it make a difference. my glossostigmas are growing like crazy. so if u can, avoid any surface agitation.