CO2 diffusion

iamcowboy

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Crandall, TX
Soon I will be generating diy co2 for my tank using the method I have read in this forum. What I am still working out is the method of diffusing the co2 into the water. I have read many ways of doing this. Some are OK but I really like to keep a natural looking tank, so I don't like having unnecessary equipment in the tank. The method that appeals most to me is where they put it directly into the intake of a powerhead. I do not have a powerhead so I was wandering if it would work to put it into the intake of a HOB filter.

If that won't work, other suggestions that will not clutter up the tank would be greatly appreciated.

I have not seen visible results except for the plants looking alot healthier. I also suggest using the powerhead idea. Just go to a petsmart and get an Aqua Clear PH. I am also going to be using this method. Make sure its pointed down so it can get to the roots.

Another thing you can do, if you can find it or buy one off of someone else, is getting the Ladder that comes with the Hagen Kit. It can be used as a Bubble counter as well so thats an ups.

If you decide to do the intake idea suggest making sure your water level is high enough to where there is no water fall. You will hear like a spicket noise and that is the CO2 bubbles being hit by the impeller. Thats a sign it is working.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Be warned that the powerhead method for DIY can be dangerous, if your powerhead is too powerful or your DIY isn't producing enough and you're not keeping an eye on the system. The powerhead can suck yeast mixture into your tank. This will basically kill everything in your tank (fish and plants) unless you catch it early enough and break down the tank.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
James From Cali said:
If yeast gets in the tank and you catch try to remove it by a water change.
I'm guessing this hasn't happened to James. A full tank breakdown, rinsing everything is about the best you can do. The yeast starts to multiply in the tank, and removes the oxygen from the water. It's a nightmare.

James From Cali said:
But PH are useful if you watch it carefully.
Not sure how this relates to yeast in the tank, but you should always monitor your pH with any CO2 system... from the start.

Lotus said:
I'm guessing this hasn't happened to James. A full tank breakdown, rinsing everything is about the best you can do. The yeast starts to multiply in the tank, and removes the oxygen from the water. It's a nightmare.

Not sure how this relates to yeast in the tank, but you should always monitor your pH with any CO2 system... from the start.
Well if you catch it really early then you dont need to do a full tank breakdown. I have been reading on various sites that you dont truly need to go into a full break down at real early stages. But to be safer a full breakdown would be nice. It happened to me once and I did a 80% water change and everything was fine.

I was talking about the Power Head(PH). Its very handy if you make sure you keep an eye out for it.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
James From Cali said:
Well if you catch it really early then you dont need to do a full tank breakdown. I have been reading on various sites that you dont truly need to go into a full break down at real early stages.
Hmmm.
Sounds like James just volunteered to perform this experiment for the benefit of MFT.
*crazysmil

Im sure something wuld happen to my tank lol. But it had happen to me a while back and I caught just as I seen fish breathing heavily. I unplugged everything and have done the major water change and everything was good about 20 min after I filled the tank up. I hooked CO2 back up about an hour later.

I might test this on a tank of feeder guppies. Say 5g's...

LOL, yeah probably. I dont think it would be so inhumane if it is an experiment to try and save the fish before t gets bad. Although putting fish through it is a bit inhumane so is putting a fish through a cycle. It will be controlled to a point where I cant control and then that is where the experiment stops if I cant do any thing about it. I will have a back up place for the fish so dont worry. Im going to be as humane as I can with this. If people want to sed hate mail then it is on them, but this is for my reference and it is in the nature of science.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Lotus said:
Be warned that the powerhead method for DIY can be dangerous, if your powerhead is too powerful or your DIY isn't producing enough and you're not keeping an eye on the system. The powerhead can suck yeast mixture into your tank. This will basically kill everything in your tank (fish and plants) unless you catch it early enough and break down the tank.
Lotus,

Can this happen if you're sticking the end of the tubing into a HOB filter intake?

Big Vine

iamcowboy

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Crandall, TX
As one who wants a natural looking tank with a minimum amount of equipment inside the tank, a powerhead is about the last thing I want. Also some websites suggest that co2 is robbed from the water by the turbulence created by powerheads.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Sticking the tubing in the HOB intake doesn't cause a vacuum, so it's fine for DIY CO2.

Concerning the water movement/turbulence, you do want some in your tank. This allows oxygen exchange, and is healthier for your fish. It's better to increase your CO2 production than to decrease surface movement in your tank, unless you have no fish.

A diffuser bell would work OK, but the ladder might be a better choice for a 29g tank. If you plan your aquascape right, you can hide even larger pieces of equipment with plants.

iamcowboy

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Crandall, TX
Concerning the water movement/turbulence, you do want some in your tank. This allows oxygen exchange, and is healthier for your fish.
I am aware that the turbulence that is created by the various methods commonly used is just about the only reason that we can supply ample amounts of oxygen to keep our fish. However there are opinions out there that insist that powerheads create so much turbulence that co2 is released from the water at a much higher rate. Please note that I am not claiming to be an expert on this topic and most of you have much more experience that I. I only want to contribute in the exchange of information and would not quote from any sources that do not seem credible.