Cloudy tank

Apr 9, 2009
I have recently had a problem with the water in my brackish fish tank being cloudy and I can not seem to get the water to clear up. I have a 55 gallon tall and only have 2 silver tip sharks in the tank. I have a EX70 Marineland fillter on the tank and a bak-pak filter on the tank also. I do water changes of about 25 % every week and the water still does not clear up. Can anyone give me any advise to clear up the water and get the cloud to go away

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
did you cycle your tank before inserting the fish? you may be having a bacterial bloom. The cloudiness will go away over time just be patient. Also if you did not clean your subtrate, everytime you add water or do anything to stir up the tank the water can get easily cloudy. I'm banking on the bacterial bloom though

LilMikey3

Small Fish
May 16, 2009
i get that problem alot in my reef tank i find it useful to actually go deep in to the sand to clean because alot of built up algea can cause the water to be cloudy and sometimes it can just be from sand not settling down Hope that helped!

May 28, 2009
sounds like a build up of algae a little bit is good for the tank but if it gets away from you it looks awful and makes the water smell a new filter may help and give it time to settle if you have stirred up bottom otherwise a total tank clean in order.