cleaning of my puffer tank

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
I have been really good with trying to keep my puffer tank free of leftover foods but it seems no matter what i do after every cleaning i always find more. Is there any suggestions as to how i can keep it clean better? I know they are messy eaters so maybe im just being loopy about the care. I also have sand so maybe thats why it seems so messy all the time...any advice would help. thank you in advance

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I have two powerheads in my tank. One is pointed upwards towards the outward flow of my filter so it circulates clean, filtered water throughout the tank, and one is pointed down so it has a constant gentle flow over the bottom so any debris is swept up in the circulation and picked up by the filter.

Another trick is to take your net and gently stir up the bottom of the tank and scoop out the yuckies.

When I have more time and energy I'll make a simple drawing of the water flow of my tank so you can see what I mean. Like you, I had a tough, long day and I'm too tired to put any effort into details :D My brain is a little fried right now!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Get a trio of dwarf platies while you are there. They will help clean up any leftover food. Also, the babies will provide the puffers with a nice snack, and some exercise trying to catch them!

ZooKeeper

Small Fish
Jan 12, 2008
There is one bottom cleaner you could try. Its the Dragon Gobi. I have one now, and its an interesting fish. Has no swim bladder, but has a HUGE mouth that sucks up the sand and sifts it for food, then spits out the sand. Can out eat the guppies. Its a purplish blue color and looks like a Chinese Dragon that you see in their parades.

Ed