Cherry shrimp basics

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's always hard to tell which tanks they'll survive in and which they won't, in my experience. I've had tanks with angels where they've thrived and others with smaller fish where they haven't. They may do fine in the guppy tank, as long as it's not too overcrowded and water quality is good. I know with some of those fast-breeding fish, it's hard to keep the population from getting crowded.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
the tank is fairly overpopulated but still alot of room as the guppies tend to stay near the top and the shrimp seem to stay at the bottom and mid tank. not saying the guppies wont chase down any baby shrimp lol. but i was just wondering if anyone had experience with the combination in a 20 gallon tank.

Jan 14, 2007
San Jose
cherry shrimp do better in lower temperature water (probably nothing over 80) no copper in the water what so ever! I always say if it fits in the fishes mouth they'll eat it so cherry shrimp and guppies are fine together but some of the baby shrimp will get eaten. Just put a lot of deco in the tank even some small like 1/2 pvc pipes piled up can give the shrimp more hiding places and a lot of plants and moss can keep them around longer as well

cheers!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i got a large bit of javamoss like stuff stuck to my driftwood which is where they mostly seem to hang out. and i keep the water in the mid 70's. i figure the guppies will eat the babies if the oppertunity arises, but it's a pretty heavily planted tank be it a small tank. there are alot of places to hide. the reason i ask is that i hear cherry shrimp have a life span of about a year and i don't want to go buying shrimp every year or so. i'm not looking to have a very high population either. but would like to have at least a dozen or so.