Cherry shrimp basics

kayliwolf76

Medium Fish
Mar 3, 2009
I purchased like 10 of these guys on ebay and got more like 20. The guy sent extras to ensure that everything arrived with at least 10 alive. Added a moss ball to my tank and all seems well only see about 10 or so at any given time. They were also very small like 1/4" to 1/2" in size. Have several that are close to an inch and very red now. Bought them almost 3 weeks ago now. Haven't seen any saddled yet but can't wait.

Mar 4, 2009
NJ
do cherry shrimp get along with ghost shrimp?

I'm planning on getting 6 neon tetras (10g beginner tank), as well as some cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp. Haven't decided if I want one or the other, or both.

kayliwolf76

Medium Fish
Mar 3, 2009
Ghost and RCS

Actually i've seen my male cherry sitting on the backs of my large ghost female before and she just ignored him. Plus ghost eat alot of fallen flake food and my RCS eat the algae that had started in my tank. They will also eat fallen flakes, bloodworms, and algea wafers. *celebrate So I guess they get along just have plenty of hiding places where they can hide including small nooks for small RCS.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
They'll get along, but ghosties can be opportunistic feeders. Back when I had guppies, I saw some ghost shrimp take a lunge at some of the fry - they didn't catch them, but they tried. And back when I had ghost shrimp with cherry shrimp, I saw a ghost shrimp eating a cherry shrimp. This of course happened after Hurricane Ike, so I didn't feed them while I didn't have power for 2 weeks, so they probably ran out of algae in the tank, and resorted to that.

Aug 3, 2009
Whats a good number of shrimp for a 55 planted? I have molies and platies in there now with a bunch of fry and was thinking of getting a handful of shrimp to help keep everything nice and clean.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you should get around 10 of them to start. If you're lucky you'll soon have hundreds ;)
For a 55 gal tank you'll want about 100 of those things to clean it up anyway...

LAVMAN

Medium Fish
Sep 28, 2009
will shrimp be ok with.....

i want some cherry shrimp or something similar but i have a clown loach and it goes after snails like they owe him money lol i was wondering if i bought shrimp would they survive? ps i also have 2 coreys aswell.

i want some cherry shrimp or something similar but i have a clown loach and it goes after snails like they owe him money lol i was wondering if i bought shrimp would they survive? ps i also have 2 coreys aswell.
Clown loaches can get large enough to eat all sorts of shrimp, especially CRS since they can be pretty small. Although I do have mine living peacefully together (well a yoyo loach). So rule of thumb is yes they most likely will eat them, but it's possible to have them live together for quite some time with no harm done.

LAVMAN

Medium Fish
Sep 28, 2009
ok good to know i have a 10g running with no fish so ill just put it in there and see how they do then try them in the 30g which is my main tank with the loach. thanks for the quick reply.

ok good to know i have a 10g running with no fish so ill just put it in there and see how they do then try them in the 30g which is my main tank with the loach. thanks for the quick reply.
Of course :) I've had all kinds of shrimp for over a year now and they are fabulous. One thing I noticed is that as long as your fish and other inverts do receive enough protein they won't usually attack the shrimp.

Apr 25, 2011
Austin, TX
My shrimp got their first brine shrimp since I've had them today! My CRS got very bright afterwards, very cool! They like sprinted to get the brine shrimp and gobbled it down. I've had my 3 shrimp for maybe 3 months with the other fish with out incident. They were the only thing in my tank for a while, kind of sad going up to that big tank and just seeing 3 tiny shrimp lol

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
But in your sig it only says 2 RCS. Why?? I'm thinking about getting and breeding some Ghost Shrimp. The RCS around here are $4 each, but the Ghost Shrimp are 4 for $1.

Apr 25, 2011
Austin, TX
Mine were like $9 at my LFS for regular CRS, $7 for orange bee, $7.5 for blackberry, their ghosts are like $2 (but they're big!) $10 for bamboo and RCS are $8.
Hubby doesn't like spending close to $10 for tiny shrimp he can't eat lol He loves them too though and we will get more but we want to get more plants in there first just in case some one finally decides like they want to eat them :/
Made the mistake last year of having a betta in a 10 gal with some ghosts (FAT BETTA!)

excellent thread
I am a beginner fishy guy and got some RCS 3 weeks ago. 2 have white saddles and I am hoping 1 of the other 2 are males (oh i hope). Gonna wait and see what happens to my females if they abandon the eggs or a male steps up and does his stuff. If I have all females, it's off to the store to find some boys.
I have been browsing the fish sites last few days and this site is answering a lot of questions.

Last edited:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Kitty_Kitsch said:
Mine were like $9 at my LFS for regular CRS, $7 for orange bee, $7.5 for blackberry, their ghosts are like $2 (but they're big!) $10 for bamboo and RCS are $8.
Hubby doesn't like spending close to $10 for tiny shrimp he can't eat lol He loves them too though and we will get more but we want to get more plants in there first just in case some one finally decides like they want to eat them :/
Made the mistake last year of having a betta in a 10 gal with some ghosts (FAT BETTA!)
lol, I'm so sorry!! Fat betta xD

I didn't know that shrimp could be priced that high!! 2 of mine died, so I had 1 male. Now, I got 6 more (one being a berried femaele). Don't know exact genders, didn't pay attention, but they're cute and happy. They LOVE it when I give them a few bloodworms. They're especially red!! :D

I now have a 10g for them and they love it!! I was thinking about putting my male Betta in with them. But I decided not to. I'm going to let them breed and sell the shrimplets (once they grow of course). Since they have so many and the shrimplets are extremely easy to care for, it's a great way to get a profit and support your fish hobby. My lfs agreed to take in any shrimplets once I get the population going. I'm going to get a lot of store credit, and (added with my own saved up money) I might set up a Firemouth Cichlid tank. Those guys are gorgeous!!

lludu

Large Fish
Oct 17, 2009
Frederick, MD
If you are looking for good deals on the freshwater shrimp I suggest trying either ebay (first) or aqua bid or other aquarium auction sites. I have gotten 20 cherries for 15 bucks with free shipping from ebay.There are a lot of good sellers out there. There is also a nice amount of variety ranging from cherry shrimp to green, yellow, tiger, crystal, and even some of the Sulawesi shimp (albeit they are going to cost ~15 a piece if not more).

Hope you have fun with your shimplets :D

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
got a question about the cherry shrimp. my lfs gave me 5 for half price for my tank since they were the last ones they had. they are a little less then half an inch long right now and i put them in my new planted tank with guppies. i got a big clump of java moss in the tank and was wondering if the shrimp breed, what are the odds that the baby shrimp will survive? the guppies seem to be for the most part ignoring the shrimp right now but i think they may find the babies tasty lol