Cherry shrimp basics

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Fantastic my daugher's trying to decide if she wants some shrimp or another Betta for the 2G in her room

Sep 11, 2007
www.forrestcook.com
no more than 10ppm nitrate, you say? Ive got a planted tank that usually has 10-30ppm nitrate... Mine seem perfectly healthy, the females are saddling (I got them as tiny babies) and some are even holding eggs currently. None have died so far, except the two that got sucked into the filter (oops).

I tend to think the fish and such are much more adaptable to nitrates than is commonly stated. Not to say a clean aquarium shouldn't be kept, but honestly, does nature really keep below 10ppm of nitrate in streams and lakes?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
forrestcook said:
Not to say a clean aquarium shouldn't be kept, but honestly, does nature really keep below 10ppm of nitrate in streams and lakes?
Yes it does, actually.
Back when I caught some crayfish locally in a lake (man-made reservoir really, but they call them 'lakes' around here), I tested the water in the bucket and it came up with no traceable nitrAtes to speak of.

BV

Sep 11, 2007
www.forrestcook.com
I certainly would not have expected that... I just remember hearing about certain recreation areas being closed due to the lack of good water quality... but come to think of it, that area -is- populated by people, not just animals. hmm.. I wonder why my nitrates are always so high then. no dead animals, 30% weekly changes, plenty of plants to eat it all up... odd. Thankfully though I haven't lost any of my fish/shrimp.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Nitrates in ponds and lakes can certainly vary, just as they do from tank to tank. Some areas have extremely high nitrates, especially ones that are fed by streams that run through pasture land.

I've seen nitrates exceeding 100ppm in ponds, and undetectable levels in others...

EDIT: Technically though, swimming areas usually get closed from high bacteria levels such as e. coli.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Nitrates will vary by location in nature, I'm pretty sure. Some fish will tolerate nitrates better than others. Cherry shrimp will tolerate higher nitrates, but reproduction/lifespan will probably be reduced. Shrimp in general are less tolerant of nitrates/nitrites/ammonia than fish.

Nov 15, 2008
Shrimp dying

I had a happy, fat shrimp for many months until I had an exterminator into the house. They all died, and new ones all croak shortly after being introduced to the tank (I find their little bodies). I've tested water, and had LFS confirm my results-- water is in good shape. Tank is 30 gal lightly planted peaceful community. I have done a number of partial water changes since the exterminator's visit, and have tried with RCS from several LFS's, but same result.

Two Q's, I guess:

1) Any guess why shrimp are dying?

2) Suggestions for how to remedy so I can once again have shrimp tidying my tank?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Welcome to the tank..

sounds to me like you have pesticides in your water..no LFS is going to test for that. tear down the tank..clean it..replace gravel, and decorations, clean filter replace media and try again..maybe go with ghost shrimp as testers since they are cheaper.

edit: Well if the gravel is epoxy coated you may be safe just cleaning it...but I would highly recommend replacing it.

Last edited:

jmike

New Fish
Jan 15, 2009
Old thread.. Would high phosphates have the same effect as high nitrates? I had 10.. only 4 remain.. @ 5$ each dont wanna loose anymore..