Check out my 28 gallon nano reef (video)

Jake777

Small Fish
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks! Still want to add some acro and a brain. Maybe a yasha goby and pistol shrimp...my gf really wants a mandrin dragonet but I don't think the tank can feed one :-/

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have a mandarin in my 10G, one of my most favorite fish but, I also have a 10G dedicated to breeding and growing pods. So once I had a huge colony of pods I started to stock my 40G sw with them to see how well or bad they would reproduce. Well, it worked great! So i bought a Mandarin for my 10G.As fast as I could get them out and into the 40G there would be new baby pods all over the glass within a few days. I also run an algae scrubber (on all my SW tanks) so the pods get food from there as well as my supplemental feeding of shrimp. I just drop in a chunk of shrimp and they pounce on it like a cat on a mouse LOL. Many times I get pods that are about 1/4" to 3/8" long and I will drop a few in my African tank, YUM!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Your local should have live rock in their tanks, this live rock usually has pods in it. I would say no less then a 10G with about 5-10 pounds of live rock in it. You can also buy live pods from your local. Beware of the plastic pouch pod packages as I didn't have any luck with these. I do not remember the name but I bought some in a small clear bottle with a red cap and you could see the little pods in there swimming around. The directions mention to uncap the bottle daily to allow for oxygen exchange. I dumped in the whole bottle and had hundreds upon hundreds of pods in about 2-3 weeks. The rock I have is about tennis ball to softball size and very porous so the pods have a place to go in the rock. I got very porous rock because I transfer about 1/3 of it a week from my pod tank to my mandarin tank. I just rotate these rocks to supply my mandarin with food. I also have a couple peppermint shrimp and a turbo snail in it. Also I have crushed coral for substrate as its very porous and has many crevices for the pods to live and breed in as well.
EDIT: Nutramar is the brand I used. link: nutramar foods

Last edited:

Jake777

Small Fish
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks for the knowledge! I'm checking on cl for a cheap 5 1/2 or 10 gallon tank. Getting some small pieces of live rock Monday. Hopefully I can find one in time

Jake777

Small Fish
Dec 17, 2011
So yesterday I sadly lost one of my clowns. I had him almost a year and I'm super bummed his side looked like it 1 got burned by the light? 2 got zapped by coral which I highly doubt? Or 3 got scraped by rocks?

Any thoughts?

Can I add another with the one I have left

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I lost a clown (ocellaris) few days ago, he jumped out the back of the tank lid as it open a little to let heat out because i have a halide light over it. I got another on and the other three do not accept him yet, I have two tomato clowns as well. The four of them stayed together most of the time now its just the three, I hope they except the new one.