Cheap & Easy DIY Overdriven NO Flourescents

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
Ok, I don't want to put you down, but if your asking that questiuon then you didn't at all understand this post or the principal of overdriving lights. The idea is to use an electronic ballast designed to power 2 or 4 tubes, and use it to overpower 1 or 2 tubes, thus giving you more watts per tube in less space.

If you are not 100% sure what you are doing, please don't continue, I don't want to read a post on here that you burned your house down while trying to do this.

sorry for posting so much but in 5 minutes my brains rushing everywhere, anyways my dad has these light fixtures taht are like somonas, so if i were to take that electronic ballast and put it into my light fixture on my fish tank that has a 24" light tube how many watts do you think i could produce? it produces 20 watts right now

Last edited:
ok cool thx, i'm gonna try to ask my dad if i can have it but he'll probably say its a waste of time and money but it is kinda old and he did say he kinda wanted it, :/ anyways if i can get it i'll have more questions for you :) he he thx for the help

oh ya my dad has these two broken lights in his restaurant that are the same one as the one at home, do you think its the light thats broken or the ballast? because both lights aren't on, i'll try to ask him for one :)

Aug 10, 2004
Australia
www.wwf.com
yes i have to agree. I have no scientific backing of this of my own. But, i think as well, you couldnt double the output of the flourescent by doing that. I think you would see a slight difference in brightness and output but you couldnt double the output i dont think. Still a slight increase is better than none. Especially if you have an old higher rated ballast around like me :D
But certainly doesnt warrant going out an buying a higher rated ballast to OD your current setup. Man, ballast are expensive!!. Better result by adding more tubes. 6 or more i say! :)

Nice idea though, shows the desparateness of aqua garderners to get there plants to grow better ;).

Last edited:

Bruckm

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I was just pricing electronic ballasts at The Home Depot for just such an effort The only one I found for the job was around $30.00. Didn't seem like a good buy for 10 more watts perhaps. It looked huge,but it was definitely an "Electronic Ballast." The one I found inside my shoplights (I've got a bunch) have tiny little micro chip ballasts. Didn't look anything like what I saw at the depot. I probably don't know what the heck I'm looking at but that's my take.

Bruckm

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Texas
Visit site
A T12 electronic ballast for $6? Was it with the rest of the fluorescent ballasts or somewhere else? At my store they were all together in one display, electronic AND magnetic. There was nothing small. They ALL were large and clunky. I'll look again.