Cheap bubbler, bio filters?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Since I have a slightly over-sized air pump and a marginal HOB filter, I mail-ordered one of these on eBay for my 29gal. I'd like to have several means of bio filtration in my tank in the event one goes kaput.. someone needs media, etc.. Any experiences with these? Not pretty I know, but I'll take function over form any day.

I got it within a few days of ordering. It's in the tank and running. It came pre-loaded/assembled just as pictured. The top layer is a white filter pad, while the second and third layers are two different types of sponge. In the bottoms are gravel and ceramic rings. It's basically two separate small filters snapped together. With the outlet pipe installed, it's a good foot tall. The plastic seems to be decent quality. Not thin or brittle.

WOW does this thing pump some water! If you lift the outlet/diffuser out of the water, water pumps out of it like a power filter. Then again, I have quite a bit of airflow going through it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Air-Driven-Bio-Corner-Filter-Sponge-Fry-Shrimp-Nano-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-40-Gal-/00/s/MTIwMFgxMjAw/$(KGrHqN,!jEE9woHoWe3BPvlF!BVNQ~~60_57.JPG

Joel

Last edited:

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Wow, that's quite a set up...

Sorry, I just had to comment on it, but I can't help you much. I've never had a bubbler, but I do have a 'bio filter' thing in my tank. All you do is occasionally rinse the sponge out. Not sire about yours, though. Sorry to sort of hijack your thread, but I have a question about the bio filter that might help you too, if someone knows.. It's supposed to 'eliminate' or at least reduce ammonia in the tank. It just seems like a wirey sponge, so how does it work? How is it different than any other sponge?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
GG, If I understand it correctly, the 'bio-film' of beneficial bacteria cling to the sponge material. They'll also setup shop on anything porous in the filter, as long as it's not clogged with waste from the tank. This is why you keep your sponge, ceramic rings, rocks, etc, downstream of the filter media used to take out the particles.

Joel

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Ah, OK, thanks! That makes sense, now. I thought before that is was a placebo (or however you spell it, pronounced pluh-see-bo), something that tricks your mind into believing something works when it really doesn't. :p