changing my 55 gal ideas??

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
well for about a year now i been taking care of platies and sword tails, and some mollies. i have had sucess with all of them as far as getting them to breed and what not but everyday i look at the tank i get bored. so i am thinking its time for a change . im thinking i want to try out cichlids out. what i need to know is what do i need to start out . the tank has about 1 full size amazon sword. and a bunch of lilly bulds plus about the whole top is covered in hornwort. which i may get rid of some kind of troublesome. i need to know do i need to get rid of the plants what kind of water param do i need . its fully cycled by all means everything is perfect. what would be great is if i could find some cichlids that wouldnt eat my plants and could somewhat be easy to breed . as far as filtration goes i got a fluval 304 and a aquaclear 300 . how many of what species could i fit in my 55 gal without stressing or over crowding any ideas im really confused about all this. i mean im ready for it but i want something to start reading about like certain types of fish .. ok end rant lets hear some ideas.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Um...why dont you try some cichlids that aren't the traditional "african" mbuna type? I dont think german rams or keyholes would eat your plants?? Or shell dwellers? If you could find them, that would be a gorgeous tank and something different from what you're used to with the livebearers.

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
it doesnt really matter what kind i get like what you said .. i just dont want them to eat the plants im tryin to replant the tank... ill do some research first on these guys though just to be on the safe side and im not over my head lol thanks for replying

Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Well, your going to have to go with the more peaceful type cichlids.

I strongly recommend Keyhole Cichlids(cheap, hardy, really peaceful, eats anything you give it) But make sure you have at least 3, because they don't like being alone, they prefer their own kind. One drawback is that they aren't very colorful, but what they lack in color they make up for in personality(they get used to the owner ALOT better if you get them as juveniles and raise them IME) They DO NOT harm plants or dig or rearrange the aquarium AT ALL!

You can also get Kribs, Bolivian Rams, German Blue Rams, Gold Rams, Discus, Checkerboard Cichlids, and i'm sure i've missed a few more names

DO NOT put all of these together! lol:p

Do you just want cichlids?

Or do you want cichlids with other non-cichlids?

If you do decide which fish you would like and what kind of tank you would like I and/or other members can help you out more:)

Last edited:

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
hmm blue i think i want specifically cichlids . you definatley got me thinking now .. i wonder what different species i can get in that tank and keep them happy. anyone got any ideas on what species go together because they all sound so good hard to chose .. i got alot of reading to do lol before i actually do this.

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
i dunno about the bigger cichlids c-man .. see the thing is i went to the hospital awhile back and they had this tank in the wall full of cichlids and ever since then i just wanted a tank like that but with plants . i always liked the way a planted tank looks . over just rocks .. though there are alot of tanks with just rocks in them that look sweet. so far we got some good ideas . but nothing on paper yet

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
see thats the thing im not sure all i know is they had color they were about 2-3 inch in length and there were different species ... kinda looked like rams if you ask me but with more color .. it was neat they were even spawning i was gunna ask if they were gunna sell any of them or just let them keep reproducing .. but im not sure who i would have to contact.

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
hmm i was doing some looking around and found the dwarf cichlids look like the ones in the hospitals ... the question is if i start going to buy dwarf clichilds will they all get along.