Cansters...

D

discusaquarium

i'd go with eheim. they're the best but are a little on the expensive side.

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
AMEN on Eheim.  Quiet and efficient.
There's a guy out of Houston that sells Eheim filters on Ebay.  I got my 2213 (which is big enough for your 50) w/filter media from him for about $75.00 using the ebay "buy it now" feature.  Just do a search for Eheim and one of his should pop-up.  If not, just check back every day and before long he'll put one out there.  8)

R

ronrca

My lfs mentioned that eheims are great on filtering but not so good in the amount of media to put in. I have the Filstar XP-3 and I can get lots of filtering media inside.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How do you guys feel about fluval? I have a 30 gallon tank in my bedroom I was thinking about getting a canister for so it has to be quiet. I was thinking either the 203 or 304 models. I also have a turtle tank 30 gallon that only has about 20 gallons of water in it, any suggestions for that one? Im told you should get a filter that is twice the tank size for the turtle tank. I bought a fluval 4 wet/dry but the output is WAY too hard to put it in there with my baby.

R

ronrca

Ive never had a Fluval but I have heard many people including my lfs that say that there is more bypass than other filters such as Eheim and Filstar.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
You should try a UGF for your turtle tank. I've kept turtles and that's what I had and it was really clear water and stuff. Turtles are great. I've never had a fluval either. I want a canister but Ive never had one but all I hear is good things. ;D

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I do have a UGF in there but that is not nearly enough to keep the tank clean. Plus the turtle tank was custom ordered and the UGF doesnt fill the whole thing because the tank does not have normal dimensions. I think I will buy a eheim on ebay.

Right now I am using the UGF (with powerhead) and a whisper 3 on the turtle tank. I also use turtle clean to help break down the poo poo and keep the smell down.