Canister Filters...filstar/cascade/other

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
I was wanting opinions about different canister filters. I am between Eheims Filstar cp2 or the cascade 700 which is half the price. Both have great reveiws on amazon, but I worry with the cascade canister that you get what you pay for. So any opinions?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have the filstar, well two of them, XP-3's or what ever its labeled. The both work fine, wonderful product but, I have really stopped using them and my other canisters for their intended purpose. I use them to really just circulate the water now, I only have floss/media in one cartridge to collect only the large debris. I really find my HOB Marineland 400's to be really efficient. I also find them to be A LOT easier to clean as well. I am will be building another stand for my 150G and when I re-do that I will not have any canister on that one when I get it done. I really think IMO the HOB along with a power head or two is a better option. I am very fond of the Marineland Emperor 400 and the Aqua Clear HOB's

Chef

Small Fish
Feb 8, 2012
I have a 55 gallon and have 2 Fluval 406 and aquaclear 70(wanted to get a 3th fluval but KCmopar suggested to keep the aquaclear, so i did) and so far my fluval has been great. I opened it after a month to see how dirty it was and it was still super clean. My water has been amazing latley. So maybe you could look into the fluval 06 series.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
filstars are like the poor mans fluvals, lol. ordered an xp3

not a HOB fan. I don't wanna have to see it or have that splashing on the wall behind it. Which does still happen time to time, regardless of cover :) Annnd...dont wanna have that much space behind the tank to fit it

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I piece of advice!!! When you put the lid on and are clamping down the top be sure the top is on all the way. The latches go down very easy so if there is any binding stop or you break the latch!!! The baskets must fit together perfect for the top to set down all the way. Done this twice while in a hurry, it sucks!! I now have two extra latches in the spare parts bin where I keep my collection of oring, impellers, and hardware junk. Try not to have more then 3 foot of head with these and at 4 1/2 feet its just a trickle.