Can you identify this disease?

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
My male betta, whcih I've had for well over a year, has developed some kind of disease. He is the sole occupant of a 2 gal - complete with UGF and heater.
I believe he became infected when I changed the rocks that make up his cave. I had also added a few live plants from other tanks I have - but he is the only infected fish, all other fish in the planted tanks are fine.

He has stuff on his head. I don't know what else to call it - in some places it looks like a couple of raised white spots that are in larger flat irregular gray area. In other places it looks like some of the scales are falling off. And in other areas - where a scale has fallen off - the wound looks a bit deep at first - then appears to heal.

As far as his actions - he still eats like a horse. He still comes to the front when you approach the tank. He is not rubbing on any of the surfaces but he is spending more time in his cave. In general he is not as active on he used to be, but he is not hiding either.

Here are the treatments, in order of administration, that I have tried over the last 2 weeks (and no, it wasn't all at the same time!)

BettaFix (melaleuca)
CopperSafe
Maracide (hydroxymethylaminomethane, dibromohydroxymercuriflourescein, aniline green)
General Cure (metronidazole)

What do you think?

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
probably ich??? it's highly contagous... u should quarantine him... look at all the different kinds of Maracyn... I'm sure they have something for ich.

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
No - I don't believe it ick. Both CopperSafe and Maracide are for ick, and I have had good results with Maracide against ick.
When the Maracide didn't work I switched to the General Cure hoping a broad spectrum parasitic treatment would do the trick.
No go.

BTW - he is alone. "...sole occupant of a 2 gal"

bumblebee

Large Fish
Apr 8, 2003
Medina, NY
Visit site
I've never had a betta, but judging from the symptoms, I would say he has a fungus. Jungle makes pre-measured tablets that I have used with a lot of success for my 20 gallon community tank. Good Luck, Keep us posted!

bumblebee

Large Fish
Apr 8, 2003
Medina, NY
Visit site
I've never had a betta, but judging from the symptoms, I would say he has a fungus. Jungle makes pre-measured tablets that I have used with a lot of success for my 20 gallon community tank. Good Luck, Keep us posted!

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
I did a salt bath - he wasn't to thrilled about that.
His head looks a little better but now I think he has some fungus near the tail fin. As I said - most of his head is better - but now it looks like part of his lip and under that side of his chin are, uh, gone? As if something ate it?
I've been using a magnifying glass to watch him - I never saw any parasites (worms) and until today there wasn't any stringy, cottony fibers.
He is still eating a bunch - and still full of piss and vinegar. I'll do another salt bath and water change and see what happens.
He was full grown when I got him (over a year ago) and I mean "full". I got the biggest betta in the store - had had a bad experience with a skinny betta that couldn't carry his fins. So when I got this guy I looked for the fish with the thickest belly - to support those fins. He has been great up until this - it might be that on top of being sick he's getting old?

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
try bettamax it's a blend of tri sulfas and seems to be good for all kinds of betta ailments.i had a red betta once,one day ok next day it faded thrid day pushin flowers.and the worst part,no signs of anything i checked all kinds of stuff.'eh what can you do?