can she still be pregnet?

kkme2

New Fish
Jul 26, 2012
My platy fish just had 15 fry a week ago, I have been gonna since she gave birth but now I'm back home and I realize she still has eyes in her belly just like she did before the 15 fry cane along, I know they are sopost to have between 20 and 40 fry, so could she have given birth to only half of her babys? Why is she still very pregent a week later :eek:

kkme2

New Fish
Jul 26, 2012
When should she be having them then, if they are the same age as the ones she already gave birth too, should she have them very soon? It's been a week since the others where born

Feb 27, 2009
Livebearers can have multiple batches of fry from just one breeding. USUALLY, they produce one batch and a month later, produce another. But a lot of factors play into when they are born. Stress on the mother can cause her to hold them longer, nutrition, temperature, etc.

She could have all that were 'ready' and the next batch is maturing. They often have larger 2nd and 3rd batches of fry.

Aug 11, 2012
I have a platys that seems to be pregnant for over a month now. There are 2 other male platys in the tank that stalk her. I have built up some plants for her to hide, she has been hiding as well she seems to have stopped eating. She looks like a little balloon. I only have a 10 gallon tank and a total of 6 fish in there. Is it mean to leave her in the tank and stalked? I really don't want to have 20 new fish I have no where to put them. Why isn't she giving birth? I have a simple tank with no thermostat to change the water temp. I just want her to give birth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 27, 2009
I have a platys that seems to be pregnant for over a month now. There are 2 other male platys in the tank that stalk her.
Is she the only female with two male platy? If so, I would suggest getting a few more females normally, to spread out the attention. However, 10 gallons may be too small for more fish. If you do not want more fish, I would suggest trading them for some non-livebearers.

kkme2

New Fish
Jul 26, 2012
So my fish that had fry is differently very pregent, I can see the eyes in her belly along with 2 of the other 3 female platy in my tank, and my swordtail female is also pregent. So I'll soon have 5 batches of fry in my tank, what can I do with the babys I can't keep them all and I worn just flush the rest down the towlet or anything like that, is there anyplAce that still will buy fish from people!?

Feb 27, 2009
is there anyplAce that still will buy fish from people!?
Not many stores will buy livebearers unless it is a specific or rare color they are looking for. Unfortunately, they just breed too easily so are not 'worth' much to others. If you do not want fry, I would recommend either a) keeping only 1 gender (although with only females, you may get fry for awhile), b) keep egg layers instead as they do not breed so easily, or c) keep fish with your livebearers, such as a betta, that will hunt and eat the fry.

kkme2

New Fish
Jul 26, 2012
So they might take them, I don't need to sell them, I mean, I got these fish for fun, not to make money off of. I have a betta fish in a different tank but I really don't feel right just letting them all eat the babys. :( Another thing my fry that are a little over 2 weeks old are different sizes, it that because males tend to be big or grow faster then females, or is it just bonefish are like eating more then others?