Can I move my betta fry?

I only got about 20 fry from my 2nd attempt to breed bettas. I would like to move the fry to a smaller container in order to use the tank again for another attempt. A smaller container would also concentrate the fry so that feeding would be easier. Any recommendations on how I should move them (I'm thinking turkey baster) and how big the container should be for 20 fry? I'm thinking of setting a half gallon bowl into the tank so that it still gets heat and I can slowly catch fry and put them into the bowl over a day or so. Then I can release a male into the main tank and a female into a lamp chimney placed in the tank. I think that the ten gallon tank is big enough to do double duty in this way. Any thoughts?

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
i'm sure u know if u do the small fishbowl there's gonna be alot of water changes from feeding and there's gonna be no filtration and heat either, i bred bettas and i had about 30 ormore frys after a week and in the 2nd week there was only 15 i kept them in my 10 gal b/c of several reasons it had many floating plants, and tons of pond snails so micro organisms were comin from the snailwastes i didn't feed them for the first week but after that i feed them powdered fd worms, flakes, egg yolk evry now and then they do a pretty good job eating everything and the snails takes care of the rest and with larger amount of water there's less water changes comparedd to a half gal bowl maybe u can make a divider for the 10gal to fit properly on it so the fry can be divided here's a tip i did when i made a divider use airline tubing cut open acrosse so it can fit along the side of the divider it helps hold the divider and keeps tiny fry from gettin through the sides

Hmm. Just about all but two of the betta fry dissapeared as soon as they became free swiming. There is some crud on the bottom of the tank and I can't tell if they are dead or just hiding. It was sheer luck that I found the ones that I did see though, they are about invisable. I'll give them about a week and then if I can't find them, I'll try over again with a new pair.

bobrob

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Belfast, Northern Ireland
hey wen ur trying with the new pair put them (the fry) into a sort of mesh net box and let it float at the top of ur tank this way no harm can be done to them thats just a thoguht i wudnt recommend that you try unless u think its a gd idea coz im a dummie but its pretty good thinkin well 4 me neways.