Can I have some help On my first marine tank?

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
Well, I`ve gotten my feet wet (pun intended) in the freshwater hobby with eight tanks and counting, Including cichlids and heavily planted tanks, and want to get a saltwater. I already have a twenty gallon tank with a power filer, a U.G.F. run by a n air pump, and a canister filter, what else do I need regarding filters? Do I need any of those fancy protein skimmers, wet/dry filters, or U.V. sterilizers if I`m just setting up a FOWLR with all hardy specimens? I have a small budget, and don`t want to be spending hundreds on filters. Also, what substrate would be best? I need help!!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
For a FOWLR, all you really need is live rock, sand and good powerheads. You don't need any other filters (no UGF, no canister).

Make sure you cure the live rock (one pound per gallon of water) and cycle the tank. Stock much more lightly than you would in freshwater. You can probably have three small fish (max 3" adult size) in a tank that size.

I highly recommend the Koralia powerheads over the traditional types of powerheads (such as the AquaClears).