Can different kinds of goldfish breed??

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this whole fish thing but I've been learning fast. I just picked up my new 12gallon Eclipse (bio-wheel) tank with some great halogen lights and stuff. I've finished establishing the bacteria levels and am finally ready to add some fish. In case you couldn't tell I love fantail gold fish and veiltails are cool too, but I kinda want to get a male fantail and a female veiltail and eventually breed them. Whats going to happen, mutants or will they just not breed??

Thanks,
Xan

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
A 12 gallon is really only sufficient for one goldfish and, when they get big enough, that's not much swimming room for one. To answer your main question, all goldfish can interbreed. They are all the same species, much like breeds of dogs or cats. I have two oranda/comet crosses in my garden pond. :)

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
Well originally I made the mistake of listening to the folks down at Petco which said that their $29.99 special for the "Starter 2.5 gallon kit" was big enough for my two fantails. You can imagin what happend to them, so the 12 gallon is a huge improvement and is really all I have room for.

-Xan

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
12 gallons for 2 fancies will be tight for adult sized goldies... so just buy babies for now, it will give you a couple years before you should look at a 20 gallon. Just keep your eyes open at garage sales and bargain finder magazines, you can usually find them pretty cheap.

Regular water changes, say 33% once a week will also help keep the fish healthier in a smaller space. If you don't have one already, a water siphon/gravel cleaner is a must have for easier water changes. Your LFS clerk can show you how they operate.

Just buy a 3 gallon pail, use the siphon to remove the water till it's full. Then dump the water out (I reuse old tank water for watering plants), rinse the pail, re-fill it with tap water about the same temperature, add dechlorinator (I use PRIME brand - red label), and pour it slowly back in.

Do that every week, and your set for the next 2 years.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Fantail_Lover said:
I really doubt that I have to do 33% water change every week with an Eclipse tank. Sounds like it would be more stressful than good.
Poor water quality will stress your fish out. Definitely do the water changes -- they'll love you for it. 33% sounds good considering the size tank. I do at least 33% (when I'm in a rush or feeling lazy) and usually 50 - 75% a week with my goldie tanks. If anything, they swim into the stream of new water and get seriously "underfoot" when I vacuum.

Sep 8, 2005
You really need to do the water changes. Goldfish produce a lot of waste and ammonia. I run two filters on my 65 gal and change 35% of the water every 5 days or 50-60% once a week. Goldfish like clean water. Your fish will be less stressed and have fewer health problems. As Seleya stated they love to play in the stream of new water and get in the way of the python. Mine also nibble on my fingers while I'm in there!!

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
No need to doubt, 33% every week on goldie tanks less than 33 gallons ... most fantails can grow to 6" big themselves... if you don't believe me take a look at my signature and my 220 gallon tank pictures:
For example: http://www.northstarwebsites.com/fish/Goldies-Big_4.jpg shows Patty, my 9" fantail.

Its a myth that goldfish grow to the size of the tank, its not just a matter of environment, its also a matter of genetics. But that is a different arguement I'm not going into on this thread.

If your goal is to have your goldies as healthy as possible, then the water conditions need to be well maintained. Water changes is not at all stressful to fish if done properly (dechlorinated and same temp/ph range), so frequent water changes will only help the situation for your fish.

Oct 24, 2005
You should be doing weekly tank changes on just about any tank, the amount is all that varies. The people around the forum are extremely experienced and very helpful. I find it's usually best to heed their advice.

A little off topic:
Iggy I LOVE those goldfish that look like they swallowed a golfball!! I'm hoping to add 2 more tanks to my house, a 100+ bow front corner tank for discus and a tank that I *WANT* to build but I'm not sure the gallons, probably over 200, mounted in a wall with goldfish of different types. Anyway, Great Pic!

Feb 9, 2017
Hi i need some advice on my fish tank its about 90cm long 50 cm high 40 cm width just wondering how many fish can go into the tank thanks