Calcium Test Kit

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
So I bought a few snails and asked the lady for a calcium test kit. Well the one she sold me is for saltwater and I didn't realize til I got home. The snails are freshwater (I checked) so my question is: Is there anyway to still use this test? If not, anyone wanna buy a cheap calcium test? And is there any good way to test for it without buying a kit and do I even need to?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have been on this forum for over a year and haven't heard anyone say anything about testing for calcium. I am curious what made you think you had to test for it?

Lionel

Small Fish
May 24, 2011
If you want to test water for your snails, you probably want a hardness test kit. It should have two tests, one for general harness (gh) and carbonate hardness (kh).

That said, for a couple of snails I'd probably not bother with a test. Look at your showerhead. If it has white mineral buildup your tap water is plenty hard for snails. If you're not sure, maybe put some crushed coral or sea shells either in your tank or your filter to add necessary minerals to your tank. If you add crushed coral or shells, try to make smaller water changes more frequently rather than larger water changes less frequently.

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
Thanks guys! Well a few of my past snails ended up with cracks in their shells. I put a calcium pill in every now and then. I have really hard water, problem is it's only outside. So we have soft water cause of the water softener. I should bring in outside hose water and let it get to room temp and add it sometimes I guess.