Bubbles bit me!!

I was ajusting the plant in my betta's bowl and he attacked my finger violently! My friend was in the room and we were sitting quietly talking about the fish and he lunged! He actually hit the side of the bowl and made a rather large noise. He's fine. I'm shocked. I thought he liked me :)
He's go new growth on his tail fin, but the rest looks a bit ratty. It looks almost curly. Is this fin rot? I've seen it on my gold fish, but its hard to tell because of his colors.

Mike

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Visit site
you can tell its fin rot once little pieces start falling off little by little then the biggr pieces start falling. one the bigger pieces start falling its really difficult to control. just put some medicine just in case and do more frequent water changes.
~~Mike

Oct 22, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
there goes the theory never bite the hand that feeds ya lol

was there a bubble nest in there? maybe he was just protecting his territory

does the fins get any white cottoney stuff? i noticed on my betta when i had them that their fins would kinda get clear and then later the clear part was gone like fin rot couldn't treat them soon enough b4 it died...

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
my betta likes to nibble at my hand when i feed him... sometimes if i just stick my finger in the tank, he'll think my finger is the food and attack it... it doesn't hurt or anything, considering my finger is too big for him to swallow! lol he also had what i think was fin rot, cuz my platy also had it... his tail looked ratty at the end, and the platy had a few chunks missing. i treated them with Melafix, and it worked REALLY well, one chunk grew back from the platy's tail in a day, and the other one halfway in 4 days. the betta's tail is growing back, but it is harder to tell cuz the end of his tail is clear already, so it's hard to see cuz he won't stay still....

Ares

Small Fish
Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I had a betta that had tail rot also. He was red and you could tell because the end of his tail started getting white crud on it and it started to get very frayed. Pieces of the tail were falling off also. I've found that Maracyn works really well for fin and tail rot. I've also used a product called Bettafix and that seemed to work fine also.