Bubble Sizes

I recently became more and more annoyed at the fact that the bubbles in my tank from the air pump are so big. I have to bury the air stones and wand under the gravel so they don't go floating around. Unfortunately this means that the air that comes out of the airstones/wand get trapped under the gravel, form larger bubbles, and then rise to the surface.

My goal: to get the airstones/wand out of the gravel to obtain smaller bubbles, but also keep the green airstones and blue wand out of sight.

I figured I could use the extra plexiglass stuff from the divider and make a tiny divider to keep gravel from getting into a certain area. That would be at the back of the tank for the wand. Then I'd lay the wand into that no-gravel area so that it wouldn't be covered with gravel. It would be out of sight too because the gravel would go all the way up to the plexiglass.

Get it?

Has anyone tried this before or are there different ways of achieving my goal stated above?

Thanks in advance.
*SUNSMILE*

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I recently became more and more annoyed at the fact that the bubbles in my tank from the air pump are so big. I have to bury the air stones and wand under the gravel so they don't go floating around. Unfortunately this means that the air that comes out of the airstones/wand get trapped under the gravel, form larger bubbles, and then rise to the surface.

My goal: to get the airstones/wand out of the gravel to obtain smaller bubbles, but also keep the green airstones and blue wand out of sight.

I figured I could use the extra plexiglass stuff from the divider and make a tiny divider to keep gravel from getting into a certain area. That would be at the back of the tank for the wand. Then I'd lay the wand into that no-gravel area so that it wouldn't be covered with gravel. It would be out of sight too because the gravel would go all the way up to the plexiglass.

Get it?

Has anyone tried this before or are there different ways of achieving my goal stated above?

Thanks in advance.
*SUNSMILE*
how deep under the gravel do you have them? I had stones buried right under the top of the gravel and never had any issues..so maybe you have them under to much gravel..if that makes sense.

how deep under the gravel do you have them? I had stones buried right under the top of the gravel and never had any issues..so maybe you have them under to much gravel..if that makes sense.
I have them buried very deep today because they keep popping up. When they bubble, they uncover themselves basically, so I have to put extra layers on top so they don't bury themselves out again. Also, if you just let an airstone run in water, without covering it, those are the kind of bubbles I want.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have them buried very deep today because they keep popping up. When they bubble, they uncover themselves basically, so I have to put extra layers on top so they don't bury themselves out again. Also, if you just let an airstone run in water, without covering it, those are the kind of bubbles I want.
any way to hide it behind plants or other decor?

I dont use airstones or bubble wands right now..I didnt feel like putting them back in after I moved. Maybe a different brand of stone or a wand with suction cups that you can affix to the bottom then have a shallow covering of gravel..seems odd that that much air is getting trapped under the gravel...another thought is the air pump is to small or defective to push sufficient air thru the hose and airstone causing the bubbles to come out to weak to push through the gravel? If you have a check valve on it try taking that off to see if it may be retstricting air flow, look for kinks in your hoses.

Sory kb I am throwing out theories with out anything to back them with..just seems you have an odd problem.. ;)

any way to hide it behind plants or other decor?

I dont use airstones or bubble wands right now..I didnt feel like putting them back in after I moved. Maybe a different brand of stone or a wand with suction cups that you can affix to the bottom then have a shallow covering of gravel..seems odd that that much air is getting trapped under the gravel...another thought is the air pump is to small or defective to push sufficient air thru the hose and airstone causing the bubbles to come out to weak to push through the gravel? If you have a check valve on it try taking that off to see if it may be retstricting air flow, look for kinks in your hoses.

Sory kb I am throwing out theories with out anything to back them with..just seems you have an odd problem.. ;)
The pump is a 60, so it's fine for my 55g. I was thinking to just use the method I described above for the bubble wand. It would hide it and the bubbles would be as small as they could get. For now I will leave it, but I was just wondering if anyone else has attempted this before. :)

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I am sure you could use aquarium silicon to 'glue' the airstone to wherever you want it- like at the bottom, silicone it to the side wall. This is a semi permanent solution though, and would require a draining of your tank for a while... so it is sort of a last resort option I guess.

I am sure you could use aquarium silicon to 'glue' the airstone to wherever you want it- like at the bottom, silicone it to the side wall. This is a semi permanent solution though, and would require a draining of your tank for a while... so it is sort of a last resort option I guess.
Well, I wouldn't consider that at option at all! :p I'm done with draining tanks!
Hehe. I wanted to get suction cups from aquariumguys, but they were out of stock when I ordered...that wouldn't really solve the problem anyway.

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
All I do to get really small bubbles is place the airstone right below the filter intake. It's buried just enough to cover the airstone. One I help to stay in place (it's moved a few times) it's too put a little portion of driftwood above it. The other tank I just used a rock. Works pretty well for me. Of course the bubbles going up to the filter intake are big but the tank is filled with microscopic bubbles.

All I do to get really small bubbles is place the airstone right below the filter intake. It's buried just enough to cover the airstone. One I help to stay in place (it's moved a few times) it's too put a little portion of driftwood above it. The other tank I just used a rock. Works pretty well for me. Of course the bubbles going up to the filter intake are big but the tank is filled with microscopic bubbles.
You're weird...haha. :p

I just wanted a column of tiny bubbles that go up. I can't imagine having a tank full of mini bubbles. Too weird. :)

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
I'm using a bubble disc right now that does fairly well - but like every other bubblewand or stone I've had, burying it under the gravel leaves you with large bubbles and the large bubble sound. It does have some weight to it however - it will stay more or less in place if it isn't covered. Mine is half buried, see pic.

What I don't understand is why these things don't come in black - they all seem to be a different color than your gravel.

I'm betting your tank is occupied, so using silicone to attach the line to the bottom is out of the question... but if you could find some sort of "blanket" to put over the airline (but under the gravel), it would probably keep it in place. It would only need to be two or three inches wide, as long as you need, and have the flexibility of a tarp. It would need to be aquarium safe, of course - I don't know if your typical blue tarp is considered safe in an aquarium.

I've always hated how airlines will sneak up through two inches of gravel while you vacuum it.

I also can't stand the sound of bubbles getting sucked into my HOB - drives me nuts - and it makes the water look like it's full of dust. Good for checking your water circulation, mind you - you can see all the little currents when you've got all those tiny tiny bubbles.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hah, I must have been really tired last night - I just noticed this thread was a couple weeks old when I replied to it.
No problem. I'm still looking for solutions. :)

Even if I cover the wand with just a layer of gravel, the bubbles are still huge. Those plastic stand things would only help if the bubbles would still be small with just that one layer.

The only option I see is to keep it clear or gravel. Unfortunately, like Kalavek said, they are ridiculous colors.

As for the tubing, I should get those sucker things and they should hold them down. As for the bubbles, when I get around to it, I'll probably make that plexiglass thing I was talking about. Seems like the only thing that would do the trick.

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Suction cups are great for holding lines in place when you're installing them - but they tend to let go of the glass after a few weeks. Maybe I just have cheap suction cups - they start out transparent, but turn paper white with time.

At least under the gravel, though, if it does let go the weight of the gravel will hold the suction cup in place.

Oh yeah, I did have one more potential solution that would keep the stone fairly hidden but clear of gravel - get yourself a piece of rigid tube (PVC), cut off a piece slightly higher than the level of your gravel, and use it as a bubble pot. You'd just need to cut a notch in one end for the air line. You would still have a visible tube sticking up out of the gravel a bit, but at least the stone wouldn't be painfully visible and you get a better range of colors to pick from!