Bubble nest transplant

I placed a male and female betta together and they are showing interest in each other. The female is especially interested, lowering her head and harassing the male. Unfortunately, the male hasn't even started on his bubble nest. I've had females spill there eggs before and she looks close to doing the same thing. Well this morning I decided to try an experiment. I got a spoon and a cup, and went around to some of my other tanks gathering bubbles from bubblenests of a dwarf gourami and two other male bettas. I placed them into the breeding tank under a half styrofoam cup. The male seemed to show imeadiate intrest in the nest. He swam up to inspect it ands actually started adding bubbles of his own. I suppose time will tell if he decides to use it or if it will end up just disapating.

Oct 22, 2002
I've heard some people use this technique.

The nest of a dwarf gouram ishould be the best choice. If allowed to, they will reinforce there nest with plant bits and the nest will stay together long after the fry have left them.

I've had my paradise fish spawn with no bubblenest(floating eggs), the young survived too!