Brownish crud

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Anyone kept green foxtails?  It was growing like weeds, still is, but suddenly started getting brown leaves. The stems have been breaking near the bottom as well. I replant them and they grow again, get brown and break. It just looks ugly compared to how it was. hmmm

My camboda is super green and also growing like a weed, but it doesn't get brown.

Just curious if this is the growth pattern or if I dont have intense enough light for it or missing something.

30 gallons
Flourite sub
1 root tab with iron under each plant
1 root tab under each plant 11-15-20
fert is leaf zone 0-0-3
1 bubble a sec for co2
60 watts "mid day sunshine" light, 20 watts "plant grow" light.

Plants are
Camboda
Hornwort
Foxtails
bacopia monnieri
java moss
Amazon sword
Wisteria
Green wendtii
Bronze wendtii
Micro swords
Some plant with roundish leaves, green on top, purple - red on bottom??
2 other unknowns.

Are you referring to Parrots Feather.
We have found that it does excactly what you are saying, and yet if you just throw a handful into a pond it grows like mad, perhaps it should be grown as a floating plant.
Remember if you are getting rid of it, do not put into your local water ways, it is a pest that is very hard to get rid of.
I think it is a major problem in Australia,if Kitten reads this perhaps she could respond. 8)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Tim, we did have a huge problem with it a few years back...I don't know how they got it under control, but most of the infested areas are back to normal :)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
:(
well my foxtail is total crappy looking so it is out of there tomorrow. I will replant the tops , and broken pieces in non-groups. I need to get some more plants anyway. My other plants are like weeds, I will need to set up a seperate tank very soon for the cuttings. I love this tank..I think I need more algae eaters even though I probebly dont...yes I do...maybe not.... 8)

btw, I have some before pics, and need some now pics, and the energy to upload them. hmmm 5 water changes need to be done tommorow....ok only 2 tommorow...