Brown algea

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I have a 29 gallon tank with some cichlids in it. The tank sets in front of my window which was the only place(unfortunately) I could keep it. it has blinds and i keep them shut all the time but I still notice that once a week i can Clean the tank becouse there is so much algea. It builds up all over the sides and all in the gravel. So does anyone know anything I can do to reduce the algea growth?  Also any fish that could eat this type of algea would help I'm sure. The algea is brownish yellowish and builds up in groups along the sides of the tank and its flat. Maybe you can help.

Ryanp13

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
well, it all depends what kind of cichlids you have...if you have peaceful cichlids, then otto cats do a great job at cleaning up most kinds of slime algae...if not, then your best bet would be plecos, they are tough fish...however many get too big and you will have to bring it back to the store once it starts to get that large...there are types that stay smaller, like bushy nose plecos that usually do a good job on algae...other than that, im not sure...good luck

raydobbs

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Edina, MN
www.stf-beyond.com
I bought two Plecos for the purpose of getting rid of brown algae.  They do such a good job, that I am purposely trying to keep the algae stock up for them to eat so I don't need suppliments to keep them up.  My only complaint is that they are very shy, so you never see these two at work.