Brown alage problem

ZooKeeper

Small Fish
Jan 12, 2008
What can I do to reduce/eliminate brown alage in my tank? Its been suggested I change the light out to a new one that has good blue output.
Anything in the way of live fixes?

thanks,

Ed

4 gobbies
3 dwarf puffers
1 guppy!
1 flounder.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
how old is the tank? does it get any sunlight? brown algae is normal in the first 6 months of a tank's life. not sure of brackish live solutions, but just keeping on top of it will make a big difference. tank maintenance, water changes, scrubbing, less light is often the best solution.

unrelated to your post, but dwarf puffers are freshwater puffers. if they are true dwarf puffers then you really should find a way to move them to a freshwater species only tank.

ZooKeeper

Small Fish
Jan 12, 2008
dang it. I went and did some more looking. Seems this fish store keeps them in brackish water and they are dwarf puffers. I have bumble bee gobies and a flounder and a guppy in this tank. Can I move the puffers to a fresh water tank without harm, or do I have to re-acclimate them to fresh. The flounder is pretty cool. It sorta jumps on its prey and then you see the gill slit move and there's no more prey. I think it can eat 3 black worms at once.

Ed

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
if you got them from a brackish tank, plus they are doing fine in a brackish tank, and if you aren't comfortable with re-acclimating them, then you may just want to leave them be. if you feel good about re-acclimating them to freshwater, i would do it.

ZooKeeper

Small Fish
Jan 12, 2008
I've reduced the SG to between 1.002 and 1.004. I think at the moment I will let things alone. I am wanting to add a dragon gobie to the tank as those are nice, but I'm still doing research on them. Finding out what they eat and what temperment they have.

Ed