Bristlenose catfish keep dying!!!

MyFishyTank

Medium Fish
Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys, i recently bough a tank i let it cycle for around 3 weeks. Last week i went out and bought 2 angels 4 rosy tetras and 2 bristlenose this tank is a 30 gallon bow front tank. OK so now to the story, the catfish were perfectly fine and suddenly my albino bristlenose died, i thought it could of been from stress but i could be wrong, this was about 3 days before the next one died. I just find it weird cause the rest of the fish are fine and thriving in this tank. I don't no what i am doing wrong and i really want to keep these bristlenose they are beautiful fish...
please help me!

Feb 27, 2009
i recently bough a tank i let it cycle for around 3 weeks.
What did you do to 'cycle' the tank for around 3 weeks?

the catfish were perfectly fine and suddenly my albino bristlenose died, i thought it could of been from stress but i could be wrong, this was about 3 days before the next one died. I just find it weird cause the rest of the fish are fine and thriving in this tank.
Bristlenose are more sensitive to poor water conditions than some fish. What are your readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
id say your tank wasnt fully cycled...pet stors will normally test your water free of charge for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates which are important.

then adding all the fish at once prob caused a ammonia bloom, which would create a white cloudy look to the tank and could easily kill off multiple fish

Feb 27, 2009
then adding all the fish at once prob caused a ammonia bloom, which would create a white cloudy look to the tank and could easily kill off multiple fish
An ammonia spike could easily kill off fish, but a white cloudy appearance would not be an ammonia bloom, but a bacteria bloom. The OP did not mention a white cloudy appearance though.