Breeding or fighting?

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've not had a chance to do anything to the tank really, I've recently bought a snowball Pleco and a gold nugget Pleco to go with my bristlenoses and blue phantom. All has been well. However, I recently noticed my blue phantom following the snowball Plec around a bit. They were in a slate cave together and I could see their fins sticking out... The snowballs fin would shake a lot like the kribensis mating shake and the phantom would mimic somewhat. No real aggressive moves or anything but they've not met much. Even now they are about 3 cm away from each other but no movement at all.

I don't know what to think...

Also my gold nugget has some tatty fins, he didn't look 100% in shop so may have to keep an eye on him. They're all beautiful though any ideas? X[]

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
It's all been good and none of my locals can find them :( they said they'd try though. The gold nugget Plec I got is basically exactly the same except spots are gold Instead of white. So I'm half there haha.

I had 20 baby kribensis that had grown quite large with stunning colours. This was overloading my tanks Eco-system and algae became an issue recently. But now I traded them for the other Pleco they get good homes, I kept the best few and parents have had another bigger batch already.

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Thanks, and yeah ever since I was 9 I've just been fascinated with plecos. I'm not a fanatic but I love their behaviour and their looks. I used to have this castle which had a bridge and I used to put the Pleco wafers on this bridge every time so the plecos would come and eat from there.. I know it's sad but I was 9 hahaha.

Now I just love those rare plecos hehe.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
It's not sad, it's cool. It's really unique since you've had such an intrest for them for so long. I'm inspired. I don't like Plecos all that much, but the ones that you have are absolutely beautiful. What places have you tried to get the Starlight Pleco?

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Thanks, and Awe that's soo cute haha, and I've tried maidenhead aquatics ( I see them as the most professional). I've tried pets at home and many others. Every known store within 20 miles. And I will not buy if I'm not happy with the fish.

Unfortunately I overlooked something, my gold nugget Pleco was missing all day and I was worried so I hunted everywhere and eventually found him.

His belly is badly sunken in and he has no energy, he's breathing but doesn't move, I've put him in a breeder net with java moss and plenty of food and clean water current, lights are out and I've left a dim light on in the room so he can easily see the food I've over-supplied him with. I know it's not due to me as it'd take more than a day for him to get that bad. Two weeks I'd understand

They do have a fast metabolism though. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks guys.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Aw, so sorry to hear that. I would just keep him separated and make sure that he gets enough to eat. I've never had a pleco so idk what to do. I just have 3 fat otos.

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Ok checked on him this morning , he's still breathing and the food I gave him is missing so I've re-fed him. And left lights off. I'll give it another day. And then check if he's got enough energy and if he's filling up that belly.

I hope he's gunna be ok, I'm also gunna check with the store I bought him from and see what they say.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hope he gets better!

I can see why you love plecs. They're really awesome dudes. I love my clown, he's got such a funny little personality!

I've always wanted a starlight BN... you're very lucky! Have you tried AqiuaBid?

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Hiya, I haven't checked there yet but I will. And he wasn't going to make it so I called and they asked me to take him back to them and the gave me a credit note.. So I bought his brother/sister... Just as beautiful.

And they all seem to be doing well. I'm still by far most pleased with my blue phantom Pleco but do really want a starlight bristlenose. And then I'll probably get another blue phantom and try breeding hehe. I've got enough bristlenoses to get going and it's like a dream to have plecos breed in my tank.