Breeding Kribensis

A

Atlantic Fish

Hey everyone,
Has anyone ever tryed to breed (intentionaly or not) Kribensis?
I have a cichlid tank and would like to breed them, right now I have a female but was thinking of trying my luck at it. Do you think it is possible with other fish around or should I scrap my dream? ???
Johnmac

John, I've had kribs breed in 10g tanks! Not ideal, but they seemed to think it was OK!

What other fish are in there? Kribs are very shy if they are alone. You'll never see them. Mine became much more active once I added some pearl danios to one tank and white cloud mountain minnows to the other. So yes, they will breed with other fish in the tank.

Make sure they have caves, as both my spawnings have been in caves, not on a flat surface.

don't worry if they seem to take their time about it, it could take months for a pair bond to form, or it could happen as soon as a male is introduced.  they are wonderful parents and will guard the nest vigorously, so the other fish MIGHT get stressed out, Oh, and plecos and cory cats are NOT a good idea if you want eggs and fry to survive.

A

Atlantic Fish

Well if caves is what they need i think i definitally need more, I have seen someone use a clay pot cracked in half and turned over (so it forms a dome with a back to it). Think that would work? The other fish in my 35g are 1-Melanochromis Auratus, 1-Labidochromis Perlmutt, 1-Labidochromis Caeruleus/Electric Yellow, 1-Pseudotropheus Estherae/True red zebra, 1-Sailfin Pleco and 1-Epalzeorhynchus frenatus/Ruby shark. You can check out my tank on my webpage http://johnmacfish.tripod.com/cichlidtank/index.htmlAnd thanks for your reply "luvfishies"! O' yeah and by the way my female Kribensis is not shy at all, she is always out and about. As soon as you show your face to the tank they all come out looking for food....Cute......... :D
Johnmac

A

Atlantic Fish

Put a clay pot in my tank yesterday, and also picked up a male!! The female went right over to the male and has been following him around like crazy. SO COOL!! *thumbsup2*
Fingers crossed!
John

A

Atlantic Fish

The pair are doing really well together, they always stay together and dont seem to fight.  However there is no fat belly yet... I have an empty 5.5g and I thought that I might take them out of the 35g cichlid tank and give them their own space, maybe to give them a little more privacy.... ;)
Also their fry would have less of a chance of being eaten by the other cichlids..