Breeding Green Terrors (Aequidens Rivulatus)a.k.a gold saum

Jan 8, 2009
Richmond,Va
The Green terror cichlid will need to be given suitable breeding sites in the tank, such as flat rocks. The Green terror will then carefully clean the site before any breeding takes place. The female Green terror can deposit up to 300-400 eggs on the flat rock, and some females will even produce more than 600 eggs each spawning. Do not separate the parents from the eggs or larvae, since Green terror cichlids are great parents. Breeding Green terror should however preferably be separated from other fish. Not because the other fish might eat the eggs or larvae, but because the Green terror might very well kill of all the other aquarium inhabitants to make sure that the offspring stays safe. The male will protect the flat stone from potential predators while the female care for the eggs. The eggs hatch after 3-4 days and the adult cichlids will continue to guard and care for the larvae. At this stage, the larvae can be fed crushed flakes. After 9-12 days, the fry are big enough to be free swimming. They are highly sensitive to poor water conditions and can easily succumb if you refrain from regular water changes. Free swimming Green terror fry will eat brine shrimp. When the fry have reached a length of ¾ inches, they will typically experience a growth spurt and rapidly grow bigger.But on a serious note,my little ones have grown sooooo fast.Growth spurt is one of the best things about growing these beautys.Good luck,and i hope ive helped to any questions regarding breeding green terrors.Dont be shy and help add to the thread!!!!!

PS.-Have pictures of the new batch coming soon!

Last edited:

Sal_86

New Fish
Apr 15, 2010
help

Hi,
I'm new to fish and we brought 2 green terrors and got a pair. So now they are constantly breeding but once the babies get to a certain size the male chases the female away from the babies and then they end up getting eaten by our other fish. So last time they bred I left the babies with the parents until they were free swimming then I caught them and put them into a seperate tank. I now only have 4 babies left I think most died because of lack of food as I ran outta brine shrimp so I brought some food thats meant for fry but they arn't really eating it so now i'm back to hatching the brine shrimp which is kinda a pain but i'm getting there. Anymore tips/info on how to look after fry would be greatly appreciated :D

Jan 8, 2009
Richmond,Va
Hi,
I'm new to fish and we brought 2 green terrors and got a pair. So now they are constantly breeding but once the babies get to a certain size the male chases the female away from the babies and then they end up getting eaten by our other fish. So last time they bred I left the babies with the parents until they were free swimming then I caught them and put them into a seperate tank. I now only have 4 babies left I think most died because of lack of food as I ran outta brine shrimp so I brought some food thats meant for fry but they arn't really eating it so now i'm back to hatching the brine shrimp which is kinda a pain but i'm getting there. Anymore tips/info on how to look after fry would be greatly appreciated :D

Next time....try cheating mothernature and split your male and female with a divider, giving your female plenty of time to prepare for her nest.Crank your heat up 5-7 more degrees and watch your male display his beautiful colors thats only displayed during mating.In my opinion on advice:Keep on trying,you will get more and more litters as they keep breeding.To keep your fry alive longer,you have the right idea!Try grabbing all the fry out as quick as you can.The sooner,the more fry you will obtain.
Brine and Tubiflex liquids are the #1 sources of food i feed my fry.Then i wing them off to an appropraite diet.

And like you you stated:Your male will chase your female after breeding.You cant prevent it so just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get hurt.If your male gets too aggressive?Then use a divider between the two fish.

Dec 16, 2016
I have a male and female that successfully spawned once a few months ago and now they wont spawn again. I've made sure there is ample places to spawn, multiple rocks (square and flat) and some driftwood. As of right now my male gold saum really wants to breed (goes by female and shakes his body) but the female just wont lay any eggs. what are your thoughts on this? I have the water set to 80 degrees and they have clean water as I do water changes weekly on the tank.