Sep 5, 2004
East central Scotland
Visit site
the discus are in a 30 gallon aquarium by themselves,
the ph is 6.5
there is no ammonia,nitrite or nitrates
the parents are pidgeon bloods,
they are clean and healthy fish.
I have heard that sometimes cultivated varieties sometimes lose the ability to produce the slime which the fry need to feed.
is this so, and are there any alternatives.

I used to keep fish many years ago but every thing has changed so much.
Please help.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Well i really can't help all that much. But i would just wait and let them work it out. At least you know you have a pair and that you can get viable fry. But it takes some learning on the parents part to get it right. Fishboy's pair has spawned a few times over the past month (?) and he is just now getting some progress made from that pair. It just takes some time. But i'll let anyone else who has a suggestion chime in.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
There are many possibilities...

If your fish are unable to produce a slime coating, you can try raising the fish artificially, which is really a pain, but is effective.

Pigeon strains often have trouble with fry attaching, since they cannot turn dark as other strains do. The fry are attracted to the dark object, and will ultimately attach to it. Try maybe painting the tank white, as that will make the parents stand out more.

Another trick is to lower the water level when they go freeswimming, as less water=less dead space for the fry to go in and possibly get lost.

I know it is frustrating, just hang in there. They should get it eventually.

Question:
Do they eat them when they are wigglers or when they go freeswimming and attach?

Also an update on my fry. Parents had freeswimmers for 6 days, and they were getting to be pretty big.I had about 20 wigglers attached. For some reason though, they were eaten. Guess the 7th time is the charm. ;) I do have some pictures, and will upload them later.

Looking like they will lay again, so keep your hopes up.

Thanks

Daniel

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2004
East central Scotland
Visit site
fry eaten again

Well I thought they were getting better at looking after their fry but not to be.

they should spawn again soon, but i'm off on holiday on monday morning.

I'll give you all an update when I get back.

I just hope my neighbours follow my fishcare instructions to the letter.