Brackish Water Chemistry

Feb 17, 2008
I would like some tips and advice on this experiment I'm running. I have a 29 gallon brackish tank just set up and running. I currently have a 10 gallon with 2 scats and 1 figure 8 puffer. My 29 gallon has a pH of 7.6 and a salinity of 1.010.

Here are my goals I want to accomplish. I want to increase my pH to 8.2 and also increase my salinity at the same time. It is said that with higher GH and KH levels you will have a much more stable pH that will not fluctuate.

I want to increase my pH using pH buffers and at the same time increase my GH, KH and salinty to try and stabilize everything. It is said that GH measure the positive cation ions so by increasing the SO4+ levels, I will increase GH. I will do this by adding MgSO4, typical epsom salt you can purchase from Walgreens. KH is supposed to increase by increasing CO3 levels. I will do this by adding CaCO3, limestone. Because limestone and epsom salt are both salts, they should also increase my pH.

I hope that by increasing my pH with a buffer, adding epsom salt and limestone to increase my salinity which will increase my pH and at the same time increase my KH and GH levels to stabilize this increase in pH, I will be able to hold a constant pH of 8.2.

The chemistry has been calculated thanks to my chem professor so I know exactly how much of each salt to add so it will dissolve and to get a correct pH, I was just wondering if you guys had any insight on my mini experiment here.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have no useful opinion on this but i have more of a question....I was wondering why everyone says to use marine salt...and not epsom or aquarium salt to set up a brackish tank..i take it the limestone will add the trace minerals that wuld be lacking from aquarium or epsom salt and if your salinity is where it is supposed to be why would the particular type of salt matter other than the anti caking agents in table salt?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2008
I have no useful opinion on this but i have more of a question....I was wondering why everyone says to use marine salt...and not epsom or aquarium salt to set up a brackish tank..i take it the limestone will add the trace minerals that wuld be lacking from aquarium or epsom salt and if your salinity is where it is supposed to be why would the particular type of salt matter other than the anti caking agents in table salt?
I have no clue why everyone says that. I am using all 3 salts in my tank actually. I used Instant Ocean to set up my original salinity and whatever other natural material my water should have in it. The epsom salt and limestone are just in there for my KH and GH but I'm worried that it might cause some harm to my fish when I put them in. Hopefully someone can help us out here.