Blue Crayfish tank

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
You want be able to keep live plants, it will eat them lol. i dont have a BLUE crayfish but i have a species of crayfish in my 5.5 gallon. Just acquired him yesterday but i did ALOT of reading. No tankmates or Live plants.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
DANG! i was hopin no one would see and ask. No i dont, i did but i dont now. I thought itd be cool to give her a lil buddy she couldnt kill, brought home a Cray outta the local FISHLESS creek. Added a shrimp pellet which he took and went into his log and ate. I said "Well good i got a new buddy and Electra a new friend." Didnt look in the tank again until i was online and i decided to research Crayfish species, then Crayfish care came up, i read the following statement "Crayfish are excellent fishermen and will hunt and kill and eat any fish in with them unless it is substantiouly bigger." My blood ran cold, i ran over to my tank to find Sheldon(My cray) with Electra's head left in his claw just finishing her and i about fainted :( quite a dumb mistake of me. So now i have a Crayfish in my 5.5 gallon and nothing else, i would add in a local Salamander but A: it would be eaten and B: no food source for it so lil Sheldon has a tank to himself and he seems quite happy lol.

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
I have a blue cray and had about 4 or 5 months. Shes got to be about 4or 5 inches now and ive never seen her even try to catch a fish never mind a head in the claw finishin it of.
My cories sit right next to her.

Amazin it was able to ''catch elektra''

car1b

Small Fish
Feb 13, 2011
united kingdom (manchester)
hmmm cheers for the advice fisherman1995
i got 6 fish in with my cray and tbh he is ok with them (5 mollys and a pleco)
he seems to just keep him self to him self lol
i just wanted to put in some proper plants lol and get rid of the fake ones.

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
They will eat live plants and shred them etc.

I only put them in now as an xtra food source for her and my snails.

I have mine in a community tank and if they can catch a fish they will try n eat it.

Excellent addition though and worth it.

car1b

Small Fish
Feb 13, 2011
hmmmmmm ok cheers
i do actually have a plant in my other aquarium which really does take off when it comes to growing lol so i might just try and put some of that in there and see what he makes off it then lol
is yours a blue cray headin?

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
Mine quite likes cucumber aswell.
Trial and error to see what he likes. They are more scavangers than anything and from what ive seen will try whatever is thrown in rather than huntin for a fish.
Now if there is a dead fish thats a diff story you can bet they'll be out for a bit of the feast. I have also fed mine a little bit of pork which it ate in no time.

car1b

Small Fish
Feb 13, 2011
i tried mine on carrot the other day and he ate a bit of it and left the rest and freeze dried shrimp i have tried him on and they seem to be disappearing
and as for the size of the tank i am not to sure (is there a way to find out with some sort of formula)