Blue crayfish - any1 keep/kept them?

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
My local store has a small 1 of these in 1 of its tanks. Hes bn ther now a few wks. About 3 inches long or so. Adorable to say the least. Have had to stop myself a few times from getting it.

Ive read stacks of varyin comments from ppl.

Would I be handing him a free fish supper everyday by putting him in my tank?
Especially with my 2 corys, kuhlis, clown loaches n rainbow shark? Aswell as my big pleco and pair of kribs? Would it attempt to have a go at them all?

I don't have much advice or personal experience, I see these in a few tanks at my LFS also. They're kept with the aggressive fish only I noticed. One thing is that I did keep fiddler crabs and they would try and steal food from fish/inverts, would destroy my plants, and were just chaotic. So I can imagine these guys MIGHT be on the same lines, but maybe someone else has some information on them.

They are really awesome looking though!

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have kept crays before and bred some as well, not the blue crays but the traits are the same. It is quite possible it will feed on and fish it can catch, I recently moved mine to a temp tank with my Green spotted puffer, I figured since the puffer didnt use the bottom of the tank he would be safe. I was wrong. Crays are a great addition but only if kept with fish that they can not eat and that will not eat them or keep them in seperate tanks. My pleco was never bothered but I did lose some small bottom dwelling fish as well. I since gave all the crays to a local LFS. When I first joined and this forum was really active a couple years ago there were a number of members with blue crays and alot of posts about them.

Last edited: