Bloated Ranchu?

kaoya

New Fish
Dec 26, 2007
Hi, just a few minutes ago I noticed my ranchu -whom we've only had with us for a month or so- had a hard time staying down in the water. He is constantly being buoyed up to the surface but his stomach isn't bulging abnormally as I understand that ranchus are naturally "chubby" so to say. he looks healthy, and the water is filtered and houses an oranda and black moore as well, with gravel at the bottom and basic ornaments that have never caused us trouble before.
We feed him floating pellets, but only a little each time for about 2 meals a day. It is definitely not dropsy, so I suspect it may be bloating or swimbladder disorder.

Could anyone please shed some light on his condition? He's very healthy and active, and keeps trying to swim down from the surface, and his gills are flapping fine if not too fast (I think the constant floating is stressing him out a tad). What should we do to cure him from his floating? Or is it something we just have to wait out?
I'd also like to mention that after browsing through google, I've received the impression that feeding him a boiled pea would help - and I've done the same with my bettas to avoid constipation and SBD. Is this ok?

Please reply soon! My sisters are worried about the ranchu :(

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yes, if there is a food blockage, a boiled and peeled pea will help clear his system. It sounds like you are feeding a bit too much. It's not necessary to feed twice a day, especially with slow moving coldwater fish.

With 3 goldfish, you should be housing them in a tank with at least 40 gallons of water. 20 gallons for the first goldfish, and another 10 gallons for each one after that is the general rule. Is this tank cycled? What are the parameter readings? If you're unclear on what this is, check out the link in my signature below.

Venus

New Fish
Mar 17, 2009
Goldfish are actually more at home in shallow ponds with plenty of surface area. Most aquariums are designed for tropical fish. Try lowering the water table to reduce the pressure. If this works; you may have to increase the size of the tank so the fish have enough space.
GoldFish Emergency 911