Blind Cave Fish?

Sep 16, 2008
Somewhere
I've read about a blind cave fish in a book, but I dont have much info on it. I think the scientific name is A-something faciatus. By the way, Im pretty new to the website, I havent benn on much in the last two years. Thanks!

15g.
6 Harlequin rasboras
2black neon tetras (the rest of the group recently died)

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
My LFS has "blind cave tetras," and it appears as though they don't have eyes. Are these the same fish you're talking about?

Feb 27, 2009
Yes, indeed.

I found some interesting scientific papers that showed if you took males from one area, and females from a different river system, the resulting offspring can see!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I am trying to think of a mechanism for how two separate populations of the same species of blind cave fish can breed true for blindness within their own populations and then produce sighted offspring when individuals from the two normally separated populations are mated. This is very interesting stuff. I am going to see what I can find on it, but encourage input from anyone. This may belong in a thread of its own, as I do not want to "hijack" a thread as I was chidded for doing on a lawn tractor forum.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
It's still on topic as it provides blind cave fish information, like the OP was looking for.

IMO, it probably has to do with multiple gene combinations. Say for example, cave fish X has genes M and R to make them blind, but cave fish Y uses O and Q to make them blind. While the fish will be able to mate, they won't have blind offspring because they will be MQ or OR pairs. It can be more or less complicated than that, but it's the general idea.

Feb 27, 2009
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having blind fish?
What 'purpose' is there for having blind fish? *laughingc I wasn't doing these cross breeding programs, just found it interesting.

Also that they are all albino, living in the dark, why would it matter the color? Turns out that it takes protein to maintain dark colors, and if there is not a lot of food to be found in these caves that provide good protein, then those that were albino had an advantage since they could use the protein they DID find to live/grow instead of wasting some for color.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I've seen them in real life. Very unusual fishies. You can sorta see a round scale where the eye "used" to be. It's so neat to see how they get around with just their lateral line. I've heard that at first they bump into stuff, but after a while they get used to their enviroment they don't!

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I've had blind cave fish off and on for years, they are interesting to watch and great in the tank (community), I find them very mild mannered. They do grow quite a lot though, I forget how big at the moment, but as with many tetras, we sometimes don't realise their adult size.

They are blind and "colourless" simply due to evolution. Anything found deep enough down under water or underground, or far enough back in caves, tends to be "colourless" and/or blind (animals, insects, fish, etc.) If it's dark enough, no need for sight and if no one can see anyone else, no need for colour for camouflage or to attract mates or anything else. Other physical features and senses develop instead. I know, very general terms there, not very scientific-y sounding. ;) I think it's all very cool and fascinating!