black spot disease - prize for who gets it right

Luca

Large Fish
Jun 9, 2003
Middle Earth (New Zealand)
Visit site
OK - here's the lowdown

->the disease is apparent primarily on one lemon tetra (but possibly appearing in others, suspected glowlights, rummies and probably not on cardinals or blackwidow)

->on the lemon it is patchy looking as opposed to small dots.

->it covers about 30% of it's body, with a small patch right in the centre of it's body and the rest (most) at it's tail end (including the tail)

->it has recently started to destroy small areas of the tail.

->the fish is not distressed and acts like the other 9 or so lemons.

->the disease has been present for about a month.

->an initial dose of "white spot" cure was used when i assumed the disease was ich, it wasn't.

->antiseptic was used, no changes.

->an antibacterial treatment is currently being used but no major changes have yet occured, still hoping.

Now the question is, if you were reading that and had any ideas of what "else" it might be, please feel free to put down a suggestion and perhaps some reasons why you think it might be that.

Thanks very much!
Luca.

PS once i do find the right med i will post it up quickfast. The prize will be a congratulatory email sent by me if you get the disease/treatment right!

Last edited:

aquamat

Small Fish
Jul 2, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Well, I am going through the same thing right now. In my research I discovered it was flukes. From what I understand the spots are scabs from the fluke feeding on the fish. I think the flukes are always there we both just had an outbreak. Once good water and stress conditions have returned the flukes will subside and the scabs will slowly be absorbed into the fish's body. As for treatment, I went with adding salt and maracide with some good vacuuming of the gravel for two weeks. I have since stopped treatment and all the fish look great. My 6 year old pl*co still has some spots on his fins but I can tell he is much better. I hope you are successful in your treatment and I hope I didn't stop too soon. I'll keep you informed.
--Aquamat

aquamat

Small Fish
Jul 2, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
I haven't used a fluke med because I was already treating my loach for ich and I didn't want to over medicate. Once my loach was better I continued traetment for another week. I'll keep a close eye on them and I still might have to try a different treatment but all look good right now. Since i joined this board I have been "playing" with my tank too much, stressing out my fish. I will keep it clean and leave my fish alone for now and hopefully everything will get back to normal.

Luca

Large Fish
Jun 9, 2003
Middle Earth (New Zealand)
Visit site
Leopardness,

to answer your question, quote from my first post:
"->an antibacterial treatment is currently being used but no major changes have yet occured, still hoping."
but thanks for the concern.

aquamat, yeah stability is good, i hope to return to stability as soon as the disease is gone! thanks for the info.