Black Ghost Knife Fish Question

May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Just wanted some more Info On the Black Ghost Knife fish before I go and buy him.

I know that He likes Bloodworms but I have Freeze dried Shrimp and do you think he will eat that too. They float.

Any other Suggestions on what to feed him?

Also I have a big Tree root for him to hide under. Sould I completly surround that with plants so it is dark.

Please tell me any other things that would be helpful to know about them?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Do something better than plants to enclose him and make a real cave. Rocks would be best.

The food you have is fine, you can feed him pretty much any meaty foods. Just put some in the tank after lights out, and the room should be dark also. IME a TV is enough light to keep him from coming out. Once he gets comfortable he will dart out of his cave for frozen foods that have fallen near him.

Get a big tank.

May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
I also Have Another Decoration that is a Log that has 2 holes in it one on the side and one on the top. java moss is growing on it so it will be dark. Will that be good in addition to the tree root

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure. They really need to feel enclosed. They use their electric organ to feel how tight the space is. The tighter the better. But don't forget he will grow. The pick I put up is of the one I had at about a yr old. He was well over a foot.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
In Northern Cali, Black Ghost Knifes retail for around $8.99 for one measuring somewhere between 3 to 5 inches. $40 or even $20 seems VERY steep to me.

BGK's were my wife's fav fish when I kept freshwater. Some of them seem to be reclusive and are rarely out of their spot when the light is on, while others get quite brazen. All of them though, as soon as the lights go out will leave there hiding place and start buzzing around. I mean the second the light goes off. This is probably when you should feed them. I rigged up some blue LED lights with an AC adapter, some speakerwire and LED's from eBay just to watch my BGK. Someone should do a DIY fact sheet.

I also found I was able to use some flat rock like slate and build a cave so that one side of the cave was the aquarium wall. Then he could still be seen and was quite happy.

If I can recommend what was my fav fish in freshwater. Well, it's more of a brackish fish but they can thrive in FW too. A Scat (don't mind the name). Lot's of character, good and robust body shape, cool coloration and contrast, and it has spikey doral fins that it can and does raise. Just an awesome fish! Check 'em out

Last edited: