Black fin shark

Maxima

New Fish
Jan 20, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Hello to all, I have a 32 gallon tank setup. I recently purchased a blackfin shark and it just keeps swimming back and forth along the top of the tank. Is this normal behaviour in this fish? I have also 4 convicts, 2 jack dempseys, 2 rainbows, 1 tiger barb and a pl*co.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thnx!

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
hmm ok first of all thats one messed up tank, way too small for jacks, the convicts will pair up and the 2 will kill everything they can catch, black fin sharks get 20 inches, barbs like to be in schools, id rethink your setup totally

o btw welcome to the tank

Last edited:

Maxima

New Fish
Jan 20, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well,
I have added some ich cure medication to the tank, and some fresh water salt. Since I have added a bak drop on the tank glass, this seemed to have calmed him down alot, he swims at the top of the tank occasionally now and he is exploring the bottom of the tank and swims in the current.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I would simply ditch both 32 gallon tanks and get yourself a nice 70 gallon one. For the size all those fish grow too, you're going to need at least 125 in the future anyway.

The black shark probably just needs some acclimation time to the tank. Its disoriented and doesn't know where it is. You probably want to add some caves to the bottom, since that is were they enjoy hiding most of the time. That should make him calm.
~~Colesea

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
I have 3 Black tips (Colombian Sharks). Small, only about 2.5 inches so far. When they get excited they sometimes display this behaviour, but as mentioned, if you have caves and other things for them to swim amongst and hide in they calm down quickly. They are extremely active fish though. Mine love playing a game where they swim back and forth, or up and down in a corner, bumping and jostling each other all over the place. I currently have them in a 10 gal, but not to worry, a 50 gal is being setup as we speak just for them, and then when they outgrow that, I'll be setting up a 120+ gal for them. Their only tank mates are one common pleco and 2 red claw crabs. Be careful when you first start, I'm quite new to fishkeeping, and a lot of LFS's don't bother giving you good advice, if any at all. I did some research on tank conditions, but in my excitement didn't do enough on fish before I purchased. Now that I have I'm adjusting for their needs. Try and resist the newbie's urge to overcrowd a tank. Less and simpler is better (man what a bad sentence).

Jun 25, 2012
My Tank

hmm ok first of all thats one messed up tank, way too small for jacks, the convicts will pair up and the 2 will kill everything they can catch, black fin sharks get 20 inches, barbs like to be in schools, id rethink your setup totally

o btw welcome to the tank
Hey Guys, Just Bought One of these sharks. Didnt Know It got so Large. Should Have done More research but it was a Impulsive Buy. I was Looking at fish and I was like. I want it! Atm I have a 55Gallong tank with 3 tigerBarbs, 2 Rainbow Shark, 1 Passion Groumi, 1 flame groumi, 2 angle fish, 1 Peacock Eel, 1 Clumbian Shark, and 1 picasimus. So Far they are enjoying Life adn Everything Is fine. At first the Clumbian Shark behavior was swimming around the top. But as everyone said already they tend to calm down and chill Around the Caves.