Binox or Not to Binox...that is the question

Apr 6, 2011
Hey folks! I have a 12 year old Organda Goldfish in a 30 gallon tank. He doesn't have any tank buddies. He's been having recurring problems. I want to say it's ick and I've doctored it with Binox each time. I've taken him out of this tank, scrubbed and disinfected the tank, replaced the gravel and stones. Is there a time when using over the counter stuff just isn't going to cut it and I should have a professional take over? Or is there something I'm not doing that I should do??? I need help! The ick (if that's what it is) is on both front fins (with sores) half covering one eye and I found more spots just moments ago on his beautiful tail. I've added the Binox once again to his tank but I'm not sure this is going to do any good this go around. Is there anyone out there with some sound advice?? I've had him a long time and am not ready to let him go just yet!! Thanks so much for any help you have...

Nikki in NC

Apr 6, 2011
Here's what I could get

I grabbed pics as best as I could without freaking him out too much :) Please let me know what you think it could be...

The first photo shows under his fin the red area. Second photo shows the growth on his eye and the third shows the beginnings of the growth on his tail (white splotch). I've noticed too that around his eye are small red blotches and his gill on that side seems inflamed a bit too.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2010
Well, it's definitely not Ick. Past that, I have no idea!

What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How often do you change water? What filtration do you use?

Here's a thorough index of common diseases. Maybe a search through will help you find something?

Fish Disease and Treatment

Good luck. I wish I could be more help!

Apr 6, 2011
Well, thanks for looking anyways :) I'll definitely go through and see if there's something that resembles what it is. As for the readings, I've had him for so long that I don't do the readings anymore. I kinda know what to do each time to get it "just right". I only change out his water once every other month. His filtration are two 25 gallon filter systems bought at Walmart. With him being the only fish, having free floating plants and gravel, plus the extra filters...his water doesn't need to be changed as frequently. However, this stuff on him has me very concerned. Not sure where it came from as he's been in this tank for a VERY long time. Wonder if the flakes may have had something in them?? Have you ever heard of something like that?? He doesn't eat "live" foods as I'm too paranoid about that, it's mostly flakes once or twice a day.

I appreciate you taking the time to chat with me about this. And, by the way, I love your avatar ;) Do you know where your towel is?? hahaha....

Have a great day!

Nikki

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
I'll drink a Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster to that!

I think you may have answered the question when you said you only change water every other month. Goldfish are notoriously "dirty" fish. They produce a lot of, ehem, "waste", for their size. Since he's the only fish in a 30 gallon with plants and lots of filtering, that means you don't have to do weekly 50% water changes, but I'd still be changing more than once every two months. Say 50% every two weeks?

I'd say some sort of bacterial or fungal infection. When I camp counselor-ed, there were always a few kids who never changed out of their bathing suits. Just pulled on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt over them. Dirty, damp, and dark = strange fungal and bacterial rashes after about a week in the "bathing suit region". Ew.

I'd do a small water change every day for a week, to get your buddy used to the difference between your tap water and his dirty tank water. There may be a significant ph difference if it's been a while since you cleaned, so you'll want to take baby steps. After a week of small daily changes, give him a nice 50% change, and then make an effort to keep his water extra clean and see if it clears up on it's own.

Oct 29, 2010
Oh, I am totes froody, dude. My towel is near at all times!

Pate - A Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster? Gross! I'd rather be hit in the head with a slice of lemon wrapped around a gold brick :D

I agree with everything else Pate said as well. A weekly 25% water change is recommended for most tanks :)

See, while your filters are converting ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate, the nitrate builds up and can only be removed by water changes.

I think it would be a good idea to give it a test and see where things are at. Changing his water more regularly will give his immune system a boost and help him kick whatever is bothering him :)

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
Wow once a month water change's? smaller the tank the more water change's you need to do, and they are dirty fish, i breed these for feeder's and i have to change the water at least three times a week in my 30 gallon, i can do it once a week but i will have 10-20 goldies dead within that period

Apr 6, 2011
Thanks! Sorry I haven't responded sooner.

I've done as suggested and will continue to keep the water changed a little more frequently. Since he's "elderly" I just don't want to upset him too much by being too fussy over him. I've never been that way and he's done fine until now. But I'll see if this doesn't permanently fix the problem. I'm hoping it will. And I'm sure with consistency he'll get used to being fussed over ;)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!! Wish me and Bertha luck!! :)