Beware!

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Word! I was in one LFS store the other day and I was trying to get some Discus ordered. After all the running around talking to the owner in another room <insert side story> by god if someone was wanting to order $200 in fish from me I would have gotten my ass up! <end side story>

Anyway, the chick asks me "do you want discus with or without hormones?"

WTF? How dare you ask me that, and how dare you try to sell an injected discus! Shit, I'm not buying a painted glass fish!

I never thought I would be asked this question! So, word to my discus homies, ASK if your discus are injected BEFORE you take shipment! You can determine a homone injected discus by unusually bright colors (that will fade) and an unnatural and unusual amount or red around the eyes. Homone injected discus can have problems, and one of them is sterility! BEWARE!

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Most of the bad color on a discus is from the fact they are never properly cared for in the first place. When placed in proper water chemistry and quality they require, no horemone is ever needed to make them beautiful. Unforunately LFS stores that can't take care of their fish need injectables to sell them. Tis sad.
~~Colesea

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
[quote author=colesea link=board=discus&num=1034633121&start=0#4 date=10/14/02 at 18:17:36]
Most of the bad color on a discus is from the fact they are never properly cared for in the first place. When placed in proper water chemistry and quality they require, no horemone is ever needed to make them beautiful. Unforunately LFS stores that can't take care of their fish need injectables to sell them. Tis sad.
~~Colesea
[/quote]

I couldn't have said this any better!

Dave C

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
members.shaw.ca
There are Asian breeders that list hormoned & nonhormoned fish on their site.  That's just how they sell them.  So, if anything, your LFS was being honest about it & giving you the choice.  Some wouldn't be so upfront about it & would just get whatever sells, or looks the nicest, and not tell you.  The LFS that buys from Asia sees hormoned & nonhormoned on their pricelist, this person was just passing that choice on to you.  I'd never order or sell hormoned fish regardless of the request of the customer but many would.  This LFS should not be ordering fish that have been hormoned but at least they tell you before ordering them.