BETTAS!!

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
Hello All!
I have been trying to breed bettas for a couple months now, but with no luck.  My males and females are conditioned.  My females have plenty of eggs.  I have my 10 gallon breeding tank set up just like it is supposed to be.  Either my male will build a nice big nest, and the females could care less, or my females are ready, but then I cant get the male to make her a nest!!!!  HELP!!!   I would GREATLY appreciate any advice!
Thanks SO much
:)

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
I use a 10 gallon tank, and it is half full.  There is nothing on the bottom, and the temp stays between 80-82.  I contain the female in a hurrican lamp, and I use a half of a styrofoam cup for the male to build his nest.  The submerssible heater is in the back and the sponge filter is in the back left corner.  There are a few bushy plants in front of the filter for the female to hide in when she is released.

Oct 22, 2002
That sounds just right. Your Bettas are being very stubborn. I had some Crowntails like that. I just kept on trying untill they bred. You could thought condition more then 1 female and if you have a large nest and a lazy female take her out and put another one in this may work.
                 Lots of luck
                                SHANE :)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I had my bettas for 2 years and they never bred and I had almost the same breeding tank. I don't know what their problem was.

Ryan ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You just have to get lucky with the both of them, sometimes they feel like it and sometimes they don't...i've tried to breed my pair countless times and have only raised 5 lots of 20-50 fry. So just keep at it :) Somethings bound to happen sooner or later.

Oct 22, 2002
What kind of bettas are all of you trying to breed?
I have a Black, some reds, some Cambodians,Blue and a Blue Combtail. I also have many other Double tail females in Opaque,Steel blue, and a beautiful blue that has long fins so she looks like a juvenile male well thanks for reading about my fish i'd love to hear about yours. :) :) :D :D

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
If the tank is in a area that has lots of traffic or lights going on and off all the time you might be desterbing them.  Mine have had lots of spawings but the eggs never survie because it is too cold in my house in the winter and I am tring to save $$ so I don't wan't to spend $27 on a sum. heater.  I also never use a filter.  My fish spawn after a few days in the tank together.  

(Sorry I am way to tried to spell check this)

Oct 22, 2002
The black betta pair might be your problem the melano gene thats makes them black also causes the females to be sterile. And fish chick your first spawn may have died because when they go for there first breath of air from the surface they need warm humid air the cold air cased then to go into shock and die. :'(

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've breed my yellow clear finned male with my violet female a few times. I sucsessfuly raised 20-50 fry out of each batch :) They were really beautiful fish, most were the violet with the multi-colored fins, some others were solid yellow, and a few that i've given to friends are yellow with clear fins tinged with blue :)