Bettas in community tank

Oct 15, 2010
It all depends on your betta. Most of my bettas are good around other fish, but if you do try it, acclimate him slowly, and add him after you have added the other fish. Some sites, and even videos on youtube are a good reference when adding a betta to your tank. You should do A LOT of research before adding bettas to a tank. I would not add them to a tank with danios for example or other fast moving fish, or long finned fish such as guppies or other bettas (male or female). Make sure you do not overstock, as it stresses all of the fish, and the betta and fish risk fin rot and other problems. There are also a lot of sites that recommend what fish to keep them, with- even some threads on this site!

If you have any other questions PM me.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say yes. Even if the Betta is agressive as long as there are no fish with long flowing fins or slow swimmers it'd be fine. As long as the betta cant catch them you shouldnt have to worry but id do a minumum tank size for that of nothing small than 20 gallons because in my 10 gallon a betta could easily terrorize anything.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
It really depends on your betta. If he's not very agressive and your community fish are very peaceful and short-finned, your tank has plenty of plants and hiding spots and caves, and you're prepared to seperate him if it dosen't work out, then I'd say try it. Female bettas are generally much better in communities but there are always exceptions.
Very agressive males should be kept alone, always, even if your other fish are peaceful. If you must have a tankmate for "meanies" try a larger snail.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello ; I have kept male betta's in community tanks a few times. My observed issue was that the betta was the one damaged by other fish nipping at the long fins. My bettas were too slow to catch most other fish. A nip at a stationary cory catfish did happen sometimes. I also imagine any very slow swimmer with trailing fins, like an angel, might be at risk. More than one male betta wiped out all the snails in his tank (Mystery and common ramshorns). He would stalk them and suddenly lunge in for a vicious bite when the opened their shells.
My experience with zebras is that they are quick but not especially nippy or aggressive. They like to swim in groups and are always on the move. I try to keep several zebras and find that they cavort with each other constantly and mostly ignore their tankmates.
Another issue with bettas is that they like quite warm water and it seems best to have a tight enough cover to keep the air over the surface both warm and moist.

It is definitely possible, but takes a lot of research and observation. I had my betta in a few of my community tanks and came to find that it was him being nipped at. My tetras and guppies loved his fins. He is a halfmoon though, so there is a lot of fin going on. I can imagine the shorter finned ones would be more suitable. So definitely check up on which fish you have and maybe see if anyone has experienced any issues with those particular fish and bettas and browse around online, but just know that if things go hectic you need to have a place to put the betta.

Mine now lives with a few fish, shrimp and snails he is always snuggled up next to the shrimp up on my floater plants.

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
It does depend on your particular bettas personality. ive kept bettas in community aquariums many times, some did brilliantly and some didnt get along with any of its tank mates. I currently have a male betta on his own in a 5g as he isnt keen on other fish and he is also slow when it comes to feeding so when he was in a community aquarium the food was gone before he had a chance to get any. I also have a female betta currently housed in a 10g aquarium with a red clawed crab and 2 female guppies, all have been living there for about 10 months and are doing great!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have to concur that betta's can be slow feeders. I used to hold bits of food with some long dull pointed tweezers in front of a betta to be sure he ate. I also was able to get small bits of raw fish flesh to stick to the tip of my finger and my betta would take it right off once he noticed the food.