Betta's eye

May 9, 2010
i noticed that my Betta's right eye is swelled out, (popping out) and it looks like it is discollored.. what is causing that? what do i do? one thing i can find is poor water quility? but I change his water bowl like every week.. between that week i take out some water not all and add new.. so will this go away on it's own? let me know what all u know. thanks..

May 9, 2010
so what causes this problem? it is in one of them hexitgon small counter plastic aquirium. like a 3 liter. filled half full of water. what is an lfs store? thank you
so frequent water changes also doesn't fix the problem w/the eye?

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Your betta has popeye. Take care of this quick before it gets any worse. This has happened to me before.. Go to your LFS (Local Fish Store), and purchase the appropriate medicine. Do frequent water changes as well, and follow the instructions on the medicine box. Your betta should be fine within the next week or two if you've followed the instructions and so on...

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
There are a number of causes for pop-eye, including supersaturation of gas in the water, but one of the most common causes is poor water quality leading to bacterial infection. What is your water change schedule like?

Oct 29, 2010
Like rundown people get colds, stressed bettas kept in cold or dirty water can get sick from viruses/bacteria that are always present in water.

Your water change schedule sounds like enough to keep the tank clean, but is it heated? Betta are healthiest at around 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

May 9, 2010
i bought the melafix antibacterial fish remedy. how needing help do to the toll free number isn't answering there phone: i have a 3.8 liter aquirum that the betta is in.. the directions says add 5 ml per 10 us gallions. so to break that down (AND I DO NOT FILL HIS AQUIRIUM FULL, HE IS FILLED HALF FULL) HOW MANY DROPS?
AND I CHANGE HIS WATER LIKE EVERY 3 OR 4 DAYS . AND HE DOESN'T HAVE A FILTER IN IT EITHER. also,::: when i start this medicine, can i still change his water every 3 days.. please get to me as soon as u can so i can get this meds started.
I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE, IF IT WASN'T FOR THIS SIGHT WE'D ALL BE IN TROUBLE. MY FISH STORE ISN'T THE GREATEST AND DOESN'T KNOW ALOT FOR A CHAIN.LOL... :)

May 9, 2010
now can i change his water like every 3 days while doing this medicine? and just add the medicine. cause it says to add the medicine every day for 7 days
but if i do not change his water it gets well u know.. so i do it every 3 days..

thanks.. :)

Oct 29, 2010
That's why bettas in small bowls are more likely to be sluggish or get diseases. They can definitely survive that way, but it is less healthy.

If that aquarium can't be used with a heater, I would recommend that you consider a different one. You don't have to, because obviously your fish can survive where it is, but he would appreciate the nice warm water (and be less likely to get sick again) :)

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If you have a goose neck desk lamp, you could try that to keep it warm but watch the temp closely until you know how warm it will get. Adjust the height of the lamp accordingly. Why is the bowl only half full?? That fish needs more water than that.